WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Friday, May 22, 2015

Fresh Steaks Right from the Cow Pasture!

Hey Ya'll! 

The biggest news of the week is I'm getting transferred.  I was really surprised since I have only been here two transfers. 
But, I have been called as a Zone Leader!  And will be serving in the Charleston zone!  WOOHOO!
I'm going back to the Charleston Stake/zone!  
Elder Boyd will be staying here in Floyd, and will also be training a brand new missionary from the MTC.  What a great place (FLOYD) for him to be trained!
I sure will miss these two families:
The Lafon Family
 

Sister Horne and Brother Brown (engaged to be married)
 

As for the rest of the week!

Mon. May 11:  Well, we had zone P-day, and went to Virginia Tech's campus to play on their grounds.  We played a variety of sports.
(The V.T. shooting Memorial is shown back there with the red arrow)


Tues. May 12: We had zone conference today!  It was in Pembroke, VA with lots of instruction from President Salisbury.  I loved it.
We got our truck inspected today, so we gave it a car wash this morning.  Even after the wash, the Vehicle Coordinator couldn't believe how much dirt we had everywhere!  Uhh...have you been to Floyd?
We picked up two new investigators tonight!  Mary & Reginald Clark were some former investigators we met/started teaching.  Brother Ferguson came with us (they are all in their 70's) and they all got along great, and the lesson went really well. 

Wed. May 13: We were able to try lots of people today, including a man named, Bobby.  He gave us a ride somewhere else, after telling us he wouldn't like to investigate anymore.  People here are so friendly, even if they don't want the Gospel.
We had dinner with the Conroy's, and by the skin of our teeth made it back in time for a lesson with Sister Guthrie and her daughter (both less-active).  They both committed to come to church! 

Thur. May 14: We moved a refrigerator, a washer, and a dryer today. Wheww!  The Miller's had us do service for them.
Also, we were finally able to teach Jodie, and had a good lesson with him on his "Iron Rod" (1 Nephi 8) reading.
We went to Branch Council instead of basketball tonight. (I didn't know I was missing my last opportunity to play ball here in Floyd).

Fri. May 15: We had a lesson with Ron this morning at the church.  Brother Brown joined us, and we look forward to seeing Ron's progression.
We were suppose to meet with Alec right after, but he cancelled.
We went walking today and got caught in the rain!
We got Soaked!
We tried contacting two referrals from members today; both were not interested. (The chance a referral takes the discussions and get baptized is way higher if the member has them in their home, and the missionaries invite them to learn there.)
We were able to have a lesson with Keith.  Even with pictures, and Brother Hammond there explaining things, it's just not clicking with Keith.
I got a letter from Elder Caldwell today that had Baptismal photos of Matt in it!
Elder Caldwell & Matt
(Elder Caldwell got to go to our former investigator's Baptism because he is currently serving in an area that is fairly close to our old area, Beckley.)
I had to take a picture of Elder Caldwell's picture of Matt's Baptism, so it's kind of rough, but......WooHOO!
 

Sat. May 16: We went to Sister Young's to do service there.  She had all her kids there, and their kids and spouses.  This place was hopping with tons of potentials!  Every one of her kids is a less-active or a part member family!  We were able to get phone numbers with most of them to schedule a time to go see them!
We had dinner with the Lafon's.  Elder Boyd actually got to Skype with his dad, while I chatted with the family.
We picked up another new investigator today (another former).  His name is Gary, he's Brother Frazier's neighbor.
We got a call tonight telling us one of us is getting transferred.  Big surprise! 

Sun. May 17: It was probably one of the best Sacrament meetings I've ever been a part of.  Just what I needed!  No investigators came, but still one of the best Sacrament meetings; the talks were excellent.
We had a lesson with Sister Huff on covenants.  We're trying to help her understand she's got to keep her Baptismal covenant (take the Sacrament) if she's going to keep future temple covenants.
We had dinner at the Light's; they fed us steaks!  WooHoo!  From one of their cows!  FRESH! President Salisbury gave us a call, and called me to be a Zone Leader and Elder Boyd to be a trainer (indicating I would be getting transferred for sure).

Mon. May 18: I had a final district meeting as District Leader of this district, kinda sad.
After which we didn't have a whole lot of success today.
We also saw Amos tonight; he was drunk, and getting really angry at us - he's just not ready at this time.  Funny thing was, he was cussing us out, and then I told him I was leaving, and he started getting emotional and telling me, "You can't leave!"  Interesting mood swings there!
{Amos didn't want to take a picture, so I just got one with his roommate, Orlando}


Tues. May 19:  We had a busy, busy day!  We taught Brother Crawfor, taught Gary, taught the Banks', and tried people in between, including saying Good-byes. 


Well, that's my week!  Gotta get packing!
 My baseball bat that I will be leaving. :(
(I'd hit rocks with it, hence all the dents)


God be with you!

Love, Elder Brenchley


No comments:

Post a Comment