How's it going?
I'm loving it here in Floyd! But, boy, is it different from Beckley! It's
mostly farmland; tons of cows out here. We live next door to a horse.
| {Horsin' Around} |
The differences between the two areas are many.
Example:
- In Beckley 2, if we went tracting for an hour, we could probably knock 15-20 doors. Here in Floyd, if we are lucky, we might knock five (due to the greater distance from house to house).
- They don't have real mail trucks out here. People just slap a sticker on their car, and a little blinking light on top, and call it good. That's how they deliver the mail around here.
- Also something interesting; there are not regular garbage cans around here, or regular trash collection days. There are just five or six dumpsters beside the road every two miles, and people have to drive with their own garbage cans and dump them in there. So, I guess, we can just dump endless stuff!
Floyd is also very interesting; you have three types of people: Farmers,
Businessmen (who usually work in Blacksburg/Roanoke), and Hippies.
County Motto: "Floyd: Where Tye-Dye Meets Coveralls!"
Mon. Mar. 2: Today was P-Day and Elder Olsen is All-In when it comes to
basketball, so we got to go play at the Rec Center, which is like 15 miles away
from our house. So, it's a little taxing on our miles whenever we got out there.
Then, in the evening, I finally got to meet an investigator. His name is Alec. He's a
real great guy, with a great sense of humor, in his 20's, and fiance to Sister Beta Miller. They both work in the restaurant business, so they are always
working, but Alec takes his quad scriptures to work everyday so he can read! They are
living together and are getting married June 27, and he will be getting
baptized July 21. I've talked about having Rock Star investigators before....well, Alec is
like the "King of Rock." (like Elvis or Bon Jovi). He actively was asking questions
about his scripture reading, and more than once I heard him say things like, "When I
JOINED this Church." and "This Church is Fun." How often to do you hear
us, as members, talk about how much Fun this Gospel and Church are? Even
though he hasn't been baptized yet, he's basically a member. He talks like a
Mormon, dresses like a Mormon, acts like a Mormon. He's what you might call a
"Dry Mormon." (Just add water and he'd be one!) He could be baptized tomorrow if he wasn't living with Sister Miller, or if they would get married sooner. I don't think they have any
intentions of moving the marriage date up (they've already sent out "Save the Date"
cards for June 27) or one of them moving out from the nice home they have. We will keep
praying/working with them. BUT....... Does anyone want to donate to the "SEND
'A' ON A 2-WEEK CRUISE W/O SIS. MILLER FUND?" Haha, JK, that was just a fun
idea that popped into my head!
Tue. Mar. 3: I held my first district meeting as District Leader; everyone said
it went really well. I really focused on achieving goals as a district and the
power of testimony and a second confirming witness.
We had an appointment tonight
with Sister Guthrie. It took us all day to find a Priesthood holder to go out
with us. (Since it's just Sis. Guthrie and her daughter, Kaela) Bro. Mike Frazier
came out with us. (He was the 4th one who agreed, the previous three called later
and cancelled) Let me tell you a little about Sister Guthrie; I didn't know any
of her circumstances going into the lesson, all I knew is she was less-active. When I think less-active, I was thinking one out of four Sacrament Meeting attendance a month. I listened
to her conversion and her testimony and found out she has never been to the temple
(not even for Baptisms). I bore my testimony on the beauty of temples, and then I
looked in her eyes, and asked, "Can we make a goal with you, to get you to the
temple?" She was happy to say, "yes." After we left, Bro. Fraizer and Elder Olsen
filled me in on her. Apparently, she's had a rough past, has some Word of Wisdom
issues, and has only been to church once in the last year. I was stunned. Then I
realized; this was probably the most prevalent time in my life, when I saw
someone, not as they are, but who they can BECOME! How important is it, that we
follow that counsel from our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, found in his talk, "See
Others as They May Become." I encourage all of you to look it up! https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/see-others-as-they-may-become?lang=eng
Wed. Mar. 4: While tracting today, we met a great guy. He wasn't interested
in having us teach him, but that's exactly what we did, as we sat on his porch
for 30 minutes having a Gospel discussion. He kept saying, "You can't teach an
old dog new tricks." Well......you're not a dog, you're a man. And we're not
teaching tricks, we are teaching the Restored Gospel! He really was thoroughly
interested in family history, and was interested in setting up an account. So, we
may not be able to teach him, but we will probably see him again to discuss
family history.
Thur. Mar. 5: We did weekly planning - and it takes all day with area reports
(ie: areas report to me, then I (DL) report to the zone leaders). I love it though! Serving in
this capacity is something I have thoroughly enjoyed!
After planning, we were able to
participate in a scripture study class with some members from the Branch, including a recent convert named, Tom Witska. So, we enjoyed that a ton.
Then,
afterwards, our plans fell through.
I met the Akers family.
Fri. Mar. 6: Elder Olsen was sick this morning, so while he slept some, I
did inventory of everything in our apartment. I am turning into one organized
fellow! (yeah, I'm sure none of ya'll are believing that!)
Elder Olsen was
still feeling unwell, but he toughened up so we could go out and work. We ended up
not being able to get in any doors.
But, we did have dinner tonight with the Miller
family (Beta's family and Alek's soon to be in-laws). Turns out, Brother Miller
is also in the restaurant business and works for Ryan's restaurant.
He was actually the member employee who gave us missionaries those free meals, while we were up in
Beckley, way back when! Haha, what a coincidence!
Sat. Mar. 7: We spent the morning walking around downtown Floyd.
Saturdays are the day to do that! It is a busy place! We checked out the shops,
got to know some of the people, signed up for service, and ate at the only
Mexican place in the whole county.
We then contacted Amos, he's a referral we
got from Sister Guthrie. He was a little drunk when we were talking to him, but
he had tears in his eyes because he really wants to turn his life around. He
said he'd be at church tomorrow! We gave him a shirt and tie, and he went to go
find a suit.
We met with one of our other investigators today; his name is Bob. Bob
believes in the Bible, but not denominational churches. It's hard to get a word
in with him, but he said he'd read the Book of Mormon.
We had dinner with the Jeppeson's - what a great family! They have seven kids; three biological, four adopted (3
from Ethiopia and 1 from NC). We were able to the do the "Iron Rod" lesson
activity with them using Elder Olsen's wood clothes rack - it works!
Sun. Mar. 8: Well, we finally had church (it wasn't cancelled) - it felt good. I got to meet just about
all the active members.
Amos needed a ride, so Bro. Jeppson was following us to
his house when we got a text; Amos couldn't make it! Darn! However, Alec was
there! He's been there 15 straight Sundays. Also, guess who came? Sister Guthrie!
That was a huge testimony builder to me! It was Branch Conference, so there were
plenty of people there (part of the Pembroke Stake). They had a luncheon after
in the Chapel (which is also the multi-purpose room).
We were also able to teach Alec a lesson on blessings of keeping covenants.
We tracted for like three hours
today, but got in two doors! The first wasn't interested, just a very kind lady. The
second was some Jehovah's Witnesses! They were some lovely people and had some
questions about our doctrine, like how we know our message is true. We were able to
set up a return appointment with them!
We finished the night by teaching Johnny Brown and gave Sister Horne a Priesthood blessing.
Good news! Elder D. Todd Chistofferson will be coming to the mission to speak to
us March. 21st! This will be my first chance to see/meet an apostle up close!
Wheew! I like to think I put some good stuff in these emails! I love this
work! Please check out that President Monson talk!
Do your best this week, as the Lord blesses you!
Love, Elder Brenchley
No comments:
Post a Comment