WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Priesthood = POWER!

Hey Ya'll.....
This week was not as successful as last week, but we met so many new people this week while knocking on doors!
I'm pretty upset, I lost my camera case which contained another camera memory card.   I've looked everywhere, asked the library staff, prayed - everything!
We haven't taught the "Law of Chastity" lesson to Mark & Civi yet, but Uncle Scott's email was such a big help - and I took notes on what he said.
Apparently, all the women out here just watch the General Women's Conference at home.
I also took part in my first priesthood blessing last night (Sunday).  I anointed Bro. Snuffer, who is in bad condition after having what seems to be his 3rd stroke. :(

Sept. 22, Mon:  P-Day - the usual.
 
{Here is a picture of us at the library - Elders Johnson, me, Morse)
 
I got to mow the lawn for our house today!  It was my first ever experience with a [manual] push-mower!  That was fun and hard.  We had dinner tonight with two of the best members in the ward, Brother and Sister McGrady.  They are how I picture my mom and dad will be when they are 70.  Sister McGrady talks and talks and Brother McGrady barely says anything, but when he does, it's usually pretty witty.  They have been going to church for 43 years, but only in July did Brother McGrady finally get baptized - by the missionary who originally taught him 43 years ago!  Cool story, huh?  We also checked up on Darrel and Jennifer to get their thoughts on church yesterday and answer some questions.

Sept. 23, Tues:  We talked to some former investigators today so we could get their interest level.  We also went out tracting and approached two ladies sitting on a porch; only for one lady to run inside the house and get her husband.  He came out and basically gave us a Baptist sermon.  It was interesting, and he wouldn't let us defend our religion as he sat there and bashed it.  Ah Well!  The Church is True!  We basically used the whole day to set up appointments with our investigators. One of our investigator's chihuahua bit me on the ankle.  Gee, Thanks!  I just have a cool battle scar now!

Sept. 24, Wednesday:  We went to a place called "Ryan's" for lunch.  It's a buffet and it rocks for a lot of different reasons!  ;) 
But, while we were there, one of the area managers for Ryan's Restaurants came up to us and gave all four of us missionaries 2 free meal cards EACH!  Turns out he was a Mormon, and he understands our meal plan and budget and was trying to help us out!  Thank YOU!  After appointments falling through, we went to help clean the church building for service.

Sept. 25, Thurs:  We had a busy day planned, but it certainly didn't turn out that way!  We visited Brother Snuffer today to play pool and so I could write down his cool conversion story and send it home. We then went tracting and met tons of awesome people, including some teenagers making a float for Shady Springs High School Homecoming parade.  I challenged one of the kids who was playing basketball (I guess he wasn't helping with the float too much) to a game of ONE on ONE.  But, we made the wager; if he won, we would buy them some staples for their float.  If I won (in my white shirt, slacks, and tie), he had to check out Mormon.org and tell us what he thought.  
So, who did you think won? 
You know me, I always get buckets!  He really enjoyed Mormon.org, and said he would check it out some more!  More appointments fell through!  Ugh!

Sept. 26, Fri:  Today all us elders from the ward met with the new ward missionaries, Bro. and Sis. Brooks.  We told them about our investigators and how they could help.  We had 4 scheduled appointment today and 3 of them fell through!  But, the one that we did have was with a guy named, Bill, who we'd met outside last Friday.  We listened to his life story (as he sat there and smoked two Cuban cigars (:), and he asked us about what we believe about after we die.  So, we were able to teach a great lesson on the Plan of Salvation.  It went great and he totally wanted us to come back!

Sept. 27, Sat:  Today marked my one month, as missionary!  We went to Shady Springs High School Homecoming parade in the morning.  We were able to get some candy and meet a lot of new people. The funny thing was, all of our investigators who live in Shady were at the parade.  Everyone was at the parade!  This was bigger than most 4th of July parades I've been to!  The whole town pretty much shut down for Homecoming.  We even saw a lot of people, who'd slammed the door in our face, at the parade!  We waved at them and they awkwardly turned their heads away!  Haha.  I so, so, so badly wanted to go to the Homecoming game - you could just feel the spirit and the excitement of the whole town!  Instead, we did some service (yard work) for Sister "S".  We had a lesson scheduled to teach  Darrel and Jennifer with Bro. Snuffer sitting in with us, but Bro. Snuffer didn't answer his phone, which was weird.  So, we taught Darrel, without Bro. Snuffer, (Jennifer was sick) about the Law of Tithing.  He was totally all for it and completely understood it.  Easiest lesson I've ever taught.  Darrel said he and Jennifer were excited to go to church tomorrow.  All we need for him is to quite smoking.  The Jones' took us out to dinner which was great after a tough week.  We then visited the wonderful Ms.W (African-American woman with a lot of soul).  She's such a riot!  We explained to her the Plan of Salvation.  The only question we had a hard time answering is, "Why hasn't God sent me a rich, wealthy man?"  Haha.  She's great!  I then spent the rest of the night preparing my talk for tomorrow's Sacrament meeting.  My talk is on missionary work.

Sept. 28, Sun:  The talk went well!  Church was great, the only low note was Darrel and Jennifer were not there and neither was Bro. Snuffer.  This is when I began to worry.  After church, we visited with the twins and gave a quick message on being a good example.  Then, we had a dinner appointment with the Heller family (YM &YW presidents).  They are awesome people.  On the way to our dinner appointment, we got a call telling us that Bro. Snuffer was found passed out in his home.  My worst fears had come true.  We'd called him several times on Saturday to see if he was coming to Darrel & Jennifer's lesson, and if he was going to give them a ride to church on Sunday, but couldn't ever get a hold of him.  After dinner, we and the Heller's rushed over to the hospital to check on him.  Bro. Snuffer was suspected to have fallen out of bed and been on the ground since 5 am Saturday morning.  When we entered the room, he was awake.  When he saw us, the first thing he said was, "Did they come to play pool?"  Haha.  His son, Bryan and his wife & daughter were there.  They were the ones who'd found him.  Bro. Snuffer's wife, Lynn was down in South Carolina, so he was alone besides his dog, Cody, who was on top of Bro. Snuffer keeping him warm.  When we started talking with Bro. Snuffer, he could barely move and you could barely understand him.  He asked how Darrel was doing and told us to tell Darrel to give up the cigarettes.  He also told us to tell him he wanted to baptize him before he died.  He then turned to Bro. Heller (his home teacher) and said, "I need a blessing."  He chose Bro. Heller to give him a blessing and I got to anoint him!  It was my first time participating in a Priesthood Blessing, and I could feel the power SO STRONG!  I knew it was the same power that Jesus used to heal the sick, and raise the dead.  The same power that brings tears to my dad's eyes whenever he gives a Priesthood blessing.  The feeling through my whole body was indescribable. Bro. Snuffer then thanked us, and told us what great boys we were, and to never lose faith in Christ.  His family (who are not members) thanked us so much, and you could tell their hearts were touched by the Spirit.  After leaving, I immediately called Darrel and told him what Bro. Snuffer had told me to tell him.  We both could feel the Spirit, and I could tell Darrel was crying on the other line, and he said, "I know."  This was such an amazing experience!  I wrote 8 pages in my journal about it!  I will continue to keep Bro. Snuffer and his family in my prayers.

So, that's the week for ya!  It was very life-changing and humbling!
I pray for all of you back home and love you all!

Love,  Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment