WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Thursday, September 4, 2014

I Made it Through my First Week!

Since my last email, A LOT has happened!

Saturday:  Got locked out of our room because all of us took a shower after gym and we all left our keys in the room. So, there we were (Me, Elder Williams/Number/Jarman) all outside our door in the hall, in nothing but our towels.  :(  
The WV Mission Brothers
L to R:  ME, Elder Williams, Elder Jarman, Elder Numbers - when we are dressed!  ;)


Luckily Elder Jarman left his key up at the sports field, so I borrowed some clothes from another elder in the district, and ran up there with our district leader, Elder Gonzalez, to grab the key.  We were late to the rest of our classes, but it turned out alright.
Today was also the last lesson with our progressive investigator, Victor (Bro. Kimball role playing).  We followed up on his commitment to be baptized, gave a lesson on the Restoration and the importance of the Book of Mormon, and committed him to read it. 

Sunday:  Sundays are the best day by far in the MTC.  I participated in a lot of meeting today; including Branch Presidency Meeting, Branch Council, Priesthood Meeting, Leadership Lesson, Sacrament Meeting, and New Leader Training Meeting.  Wheww!  This Zone leader thing should be fun.  Today, we got the list of missionaries coming into our zone.  They will be arriving Sept. 3rd.  We will be in charge of introducing them to the MTC and orientation.  We will be working with the Sister Training Leaders from our Zone/Branch (Sister Barker and Sister Gropp).  Our main focus is to make them feel comfortable and loved.
 Then, as a zone, we took a lovely walk around the Provo Temple - the sun was shining and was just the perfect day. 
My District!  Look at these 10 Handsome Elders
L To R: Elder Tempest, Elder Moore, ME, Elder Williams, Elder Gonzalez, Elder Kartchner, Elder Jarman, Elder Numbers, Elder Howell, Elder Austin.


Elders from Branch 67
 

Our whole Branch
 

The Sunday night devotional had to be the best part of the day.  Richard N. Holzapfel, a former mission president, spoke to us on the importance of keeping a study journal.
After the devotional, I was able to see some High School friends who came up from the west campus for the devotional - we got a Viking picture.
Viking Pride!
Elder (Brett) Hess, ME, Elder (Porter) May, Elder (Mitchell) Gale, & Elder (Lincoln) Numbers
 

I also saw Elder (Jesus) Otteson from my acting days.  I would have never expected him to go on a mission from when I last saw him.  But the joy that overcame me when I saw him here!  A young man, who'd had a shaky relationship with his family and the church and I hadn't heard from in so long - THAT was the miracle I saw today.  It's just so inspiring to me to see so many Elders & Sisters, who come from a ton of different backgrounds, come to serve the Lord!  I was filled with such happiness.
Then we watched a video on David A. Bednar's MTC address, "Character of Christ."  I encourage all of you to try to find this talk.

Monday:  Today we had to bid farewell to the missionaries from District B from our branch, as they head off to Colorado and Oklahoma.
We got our first TRC (Progressing Investigator) today.  So, these investigators could be real, former investigators, or recent converts, we don't know!  Our Investigator is Chad.  Elder Williams and I sat down and got to know him.  We really got in his comfort zone.  We are looking forward to teaching him.
We also got new teachers this week; Brother White and Sister Cole.  Brother White gave us the "how to stay stress-free" lesson!
We met with our new progressing investigator today, Josh (Really our Teacher Brother White).  We found he LOVES Jesus - it's looking pretty optimistic.
Elder Williams and I also got in trouble for leaving our Scriptures and Preach My Gospel on the floor by the cafeteria. We were told that was a fire hazard and the office would be contacting our Branch President. To this day, he hasn't even talked to us! :)  I'm guessing we're good!

Tuesday:  Just wanted to let you all know back home, that I have still have my mean jump serve in volleyball! ;)
Today was by far me and Elder Williams' worst day.  Our TRC Investigator, Chad, called in sick, so we didn't get to teach him today.  Then our other Investigator, Josh (Really Just Brother White), who we taught the lesson of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to, really wants to do everything possible to come closer to Jesus.  So, we invited him to follow Jesus' example and be baptized.  I felt the spirit so strong when I said that. However, he felt he didn't need to be baptized because he was already baptized, through another church. Then we proceeded to teach him about proper Priesthood authority and the restoration.  It probably would've been better to teach The Gospel of Jesus Christ after the Restoration lesson.  Elder Williams and I were really down and out.
Then we had the Tuesday evening devotional that helped turn my day around so fast!  Elder Don R. Clark (Of the Seventy) and his wife spoke to us.  The main focus was being better missionaries, caring more about the people, and making sure the converts stay in the church.
Referring back to President Hinckley's talk on what every convert needs in the Church:
1. A friend (someone who will have them over for FHE or Dinner or Dessert)
2. An assignment (Get them a Calling! Take A Chance on them!)
3. Nourishment of the word of the Lord. (Check up on their scripture study, church attendance, if they know the Book of Mormon stories, and the story of the Restoration.)
Also Elder Clark added to get the converts to the temple to do temple work for ancestors within A MONTH of baptism.  I was inspired by this message.  As good missionaries, if we can truly love our converts and be involved with their lives, I will play a huge role. Making sure they are still reading the Book of Mormon, they receive a calling and are attending church, and they make it to the temple.  And always offer/write letters of encouragement.  If I don't do this, they will just become another "STAT" instead of a convert.  The goal is to not have them fall away.
Then after the devotional, we discussed as a district with Brother Russon and his wife (Branch Presidency).   When Elder Williams shared his thoughts that when we serve his people, Christ will send angels to bear us up even on the hardest days, me and him both started tearing up.  Then Brother Russon gave us each a hug and said we could use one.  We Sure did.  Brother Russon also talked about the relationship you will have with your Mission President and how it will be like no other relationship you will ever have!  I am so excited to experience that relationship with President Salisbury!
We get to meet the new missionaries tomorrow coming into our Branch!  Elder Williams and I are so excited to serve them as Zone Leaders.

Wednesday: Today I was gung-ho about working off a couple of the extra pounds I put on, thanks to the MTC cafeteria, so I was exercising in gym today and pretty much any other time I could.; push-ups in the classroom, sit ups in the cafeteria, squats waiting in line - you know, stuff like that.
Today was the day to teach Chad.  We taught him about the Restoration, it went so good, the spirit was so strong, and I bore testimony that if you read the Book of Mormon, not only will he able to know if the Book of Mormon is true; but also if Jesus Christ was the Savior of the world, if Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and if the restored gospel is established on the earth today as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  The Spirit?  AMAZING!  We committed him to read the Book the of Mormon and to pray and ask if these things were true.
Today was the day for new missionaries to come!  It's only been a week since I was in their shoes!  I saw Elder (Jared) Whitworth from high school, but no one else yet.  We met the new missionaries of our zone today, and us Zone Leaders (Me and Elder Williams) and the STL's (Sister Barker and Sister Gropp) showed them around the MTC.  They are all full of energy and ready to serve the Lord; one Elder and four sisters are called to serve in the DC-North Mission, and the other five Elders are called to serve in the Nebraska Omaha mission.

Thursday:  Our first P-Day! I'm doing the laundry right now and they have computers in the laundry room, so we can email while we wait for our laundry load.  I can't wait to go the temple later today!  I'm also excited for the rest of the week!  We leave Tuesday morning for Atlanta, GA and then to West Virginia!

I have to run!  See Ya!  Love you all!  Please feel free to write/email me!
Love Elder Brenchley!

No comments:

Post a Comment