WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

West Virginia, The Mountain State

Hey everyone!  I made it to West Virginia!  I'm in my first area called Beckley.  It's in the Charleston zone (about 60 miles south of Charleston).
My trainer/new companion is Elder Johnson.  About the only thing we have in common is that we both come from families of 7.  And he is a band nerd (french horn), I used to be a band jock (percussion).  He's been serving since January, so he was able to see the movie, "Frozen", so we have fun quoting that movie.  He's been out here in Beckley for 12 weeks (2 Transfers), so he luckily knows his way around.  
We live in Beckley, but our area doesn't include Beckley.  We cover towns such as Shady Springs, Beaver, and Daniels.

Alright, here's my day by day update.  I haven't had a P-day since last Thursday.

Friday (September 5th): Today was In-Field Orientation!  We learned and got a real good taste of what it will be like out there in the field.  Working with the members is SO important!  Also learned how to keep documentation and use our planners.  Today was a very bittersweet day; very happy, but also very sad.  Today we found out that Sister Barker, from our zone and one of the sister training leaders I had an opportunity to serve with, had to go home for health complications with her blood disease, which requires treatment.  I was also way sad for her companion, Sister Gropp.  They were both crying a lot when she left.  It was the saddest thing ever.  What turned the day around is we taught Josh (Brother White) today and followed up his commitments.  He pulled me aside after the lesson, and told me how POWERFUL he felt when I said the opening prayer and opened the lesson. The thing was, I couldn't remember what I'd said.  It was the spirit!  WOW!

Saturday (Sep. 6th): Our final gym and service time today.  We also had to say goodbye to our TRC investigator, Chad.  We still didn't know if he was a real investigator or not, but we could feel of his good spirit, and he had a testimony of the gospel when we left him.  He plans to continue to read the Book of Mormon and JSH.  If he is a real investigator, hopefully the next set of Elders will commit him to be baptized!

Sunday (Sep. 7th): Today was Fast Sunday.  As a Zone we had a special fast for Sister Barker & for the Neilsen Family (Brother Neilsen of our Branch Presidency).  His granddaughter was born 3 months early, with a tumor.  It brought the zone closer together this week, always keeping them in our prayers, and fasting together for them.  Today was Elder Williams and my last day as zone leaders; we handed over our duties/binders to the new ones and wished them the best.  Went to so many devotionals today!  To recap the whole day is; the best way out of challenge is not around it, over it, or under it, but THROUGH IT!  Very spiritual day, including another walk to the temple and fast and testimony meeting.  We broke our fast with some delicious BYU Creamery Ice Cream.

{Sister Cole (MTC teacher) and our MTC district!}
 
Monday (Sep. 8th): Last day of the MTC -for tomorrow we travel!  It was filled with packing all day long, last minute purchases, and saying "Good-Byes."  Today would be our final lesson with Josh.  It went sooooo well.  The spirit was strong.  Josh was feeling it and was able to understand everything! And with a simple and powerful invitation, he committed to be baptized!  It was great to leave the MTC on such a high note!

Tuesday (Sep. 9th): Travel Day!  Woke around 3:00 to finish packing and to checkout at 4:30a.m. I boarded the bus for SLC airport and off we were!  I got to call Mom and Dad from the airport -  (Happy Anniversary!)  I guess the phone call was their present.  There were 14 missionaries heading to West Virginia; 12 elders, 2 sisters!  We Flew to Atlanta and had to briskly walk to our next terminal with only five minutes to spare before our flight to Charleston left. 

On both flights I was hoping to sit next to someone I could give a Book of Mormon to, however, both times I sat next to Sister Charlesworth (a very nice name for the mission).  I got to know her, so that was fun.  President and Sister Salisbury and the AP's (Elder Hewlett - another Viewmont Viking! - and Elder Collignan) were there to greet us.  Then they took us to the mission home.  It's very nice!  We got to interview with President.  Our first one!
{My Mission President & "Mission Mom", President & Sister Salisbury}
 

Wednesday (Sep. 10th): We went to the mission office and got all our "stuff."  The AP's and the Salisbury's took us to the state capitol and the West Virginia State Museum.  



It was loads of fun and we got to learn so much about West Virginia! 

{All the missionaries who came out in my group with President & Sister Salisbury}
 

Mission Home

888 Oakwood Road

Charleston, WV 25314

 
Then, back at the mission home, we had some devotionals, got to know the Salisbury's better, and also learned about the mission by watching the same slideshow [the recently returned] President Pitt showed me and my parents before I left.  Then we were given a Book of Mormon with our names on them (Elder Brenchley) and the Salisbury's challenged us to highlight every single reference to Christ!  WOW!  Tomorrow is transfer day.

Thursday (Sep. 11th): Transfer Day and also 9-11 - all the flags were half-raised.  We received our new areas and companions today! 
Drum roll................ 
I have been assigned to the Beckley 2 area (about 65 miles south of Charleston) in the Charleston Zone.  My companion/trainer is Elder Johnson from Huntington Beach, California!  We share an apartment with Elder Morse (DL) and Elder Carter (also new to Beckley).  Beckley has a Wal-Mart and plenty of restaurants, so I am going to be just fine! ;)  Elder Johnson introduced me to a few investigators and a couple of ward members!  They are all so great!  Everyone is so loving here.

Friday (Sep. 12th): First full day!  First time going tracting too!  I'll remember this experience forever!  The very first door I ever knocked on was this sweet African-American woman.  I'm telling you she had SOUL!  She invited us in and we had a great conversation about God - and we talked and laughed so much!  She said she would love to have us back!  She is going to read the Restoration pamphlet!  Elder Johnson turned to me and said, that's not usually how tracting is, so don't get your hopes up!  Not much luck with the rest of the doors we knocked on, but got an invitation to come back!  Most of the men who answered the door didn't have shirts on. Haha.  Ah well.  We also did some ITLing (Invitation To Learn) at a State Park and gas station.  We invited 6 people to learn, and 3 of them took a pass along card.  Also talked to some more great investigators; especially Jennifer and her dad Darrel!  Both are committed to be baptized, but they have to come to church three times before they can.  Jennifer really does want to come, but Darrel is using every excuse in the book not to.  :(  Hopefully they come to church my first Sunday!

Saturday (Sep. 13th): You could call today, "Service Saturday!"  We helped ward members tear down a roof and also move a piano!  How's that?  It gave me a great chance to meet members and serve them.  We also had dinner with the Shrewsberry family for their son's birthday.  I met their wonderful family and talked with a potential investigator who is Sister Shrewsberry's friend, BJ.  Sister Shrewsberry is really taking the member missionary thing to heart with BJ - she already has her reading the Book of Mormon!

Sunday (Sep. 14th): Happy 35th ;) Birthday, Mom!  It was my first Sunday and I met tons of members today - just tons!  I got a ward directory to help me remember all their names.  That was great!  However, Darrel and Jennifer didn't come to church - and refused a ride from a member.  :(  I also got called to the podium to say a few words and expressed my excitement to love and serve side by side with the members to bring others unto Christ!  We also had lunch (I mean, "dinner," as they call it out here) with Sister Johnson and her sister, Sister McGrady- both wonderful old women!  Their personalities remind me of the characters from the movie, "Steel Magnolias!"

Monday (Sep. 15th): Today is P-DAY!

Love You All!
Love,  Elder Brenchley

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Are you picking up any accent or slang yet? We are praying for your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great first tracting experience! Way to go! We are praying for you everyday!

    ReplyDelete