WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Monday, March 23, 2015

I MET AN APOSTLE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST! AND GOT TO SHAKE HIS HAND! (TWICE)

Hey Ya'll!

I'm especially excited today to tell Ya'll how this week went!  Saturday definitely took the cake, when the whole West Virginia Charleston Mission got to gather in Charleston to hear from Elder D. Todd Christofferson!


Also with him was Elder Larry S. Kacher of the Seventy, and Elder Jack N. Gerard, our Area Seventy.
They all were inspired by God to be there, and to deliver what they had to say to us!  Elder Christofferson commented, "This doesn't usually happen, to get a whole mission together!" 
The experience was awesome!  Elder Christofferson even invited questions, and there were some great questions asked.  Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to get to all of them.  However, as expressed in the subject in this email, each and every single missionary got to shake all three of the Brethren's hand, state our name, and tell them where we were from.  Elder Christofferson looked at my name tag, and pronounced, "Brenchley" right!!!!  He was really funny and relaxed as he spoke. He thanked us for helping The Twelve in their Apostolic calling of sharing the Gospel!  So many good things we heard and learned!  The reason I got to shake his hand twice is because I had the opportunity to give the benediction!  I felt so privileged, and I can openly say; that was one of the most spiritual moments of my life!  Never have I said a prayer that felt so guided by the Spirit, than that prayer I gave 3 feet away from an Apostle.  I will never forget it!  After the prayer, Elder Christofferson shook my hand and looked me right in the eye and said, "Thank You, Elder." 


So, as for the rest of the week, here it goes! 

Mar. 16, Mon:  Elder Olsen and I played some intense games of 1 on 1 in basketball and recorded all of them on my camera.  He's quick!  I've got to get into better shape!  

Then Sister Miller was signed up to feed us.  So, her daughter, Beta, and Alec came and picked us up and took us there.  We were able to have a great lesson after dinner on The Parable of the Sower. 

Mar. 17, Tues:  Today was St. Patrick's Day, and I forgot to wear green!  Woops! 
We had District Meeting in the morning, then after, I went on my 1st exchange as a District Leader.  I went with Elder Ballard to Radford, and Elder Higgins and Elder Olsen went to Floyd.  We had a great time, and I felt really privileged to work in Radford with Elder Ballard.  He was actually about to get married back home, and then he felt really strongly he needed to serve a mission, so I have a lot of respect for this Elder!  We were able to teach one of their Investigators an 8 minute Plan of Salvation, and answer a ton of questions!  Yeah! 
Part of their area is Radford University.  It's really different from any other area!  There's tons of people our age walking around, including plenty of cute girls (it wasn't easy)!  But, man, we stood out walking around campus as missionaries!  We were able to hand out two Book of Mormons and get  phone #'s from 2 potential YSA investigators!  NOTE TO SELF: Not a good idea to be on a college campus on the night of St. Patty's Day! 

Mar. 18, Wed:  We exchanged back, and Elder Olsen & I spent a good portion of the day tracting.  We were able to give a copy of the Book of Mormon after a long day of work! 

Mar. 19, Thur:  We had an appointment with Sherwood, but he walked out the door as we got there. :(  
We were able to contact a referral today; her name is Julie and we set up a return appointment for tomorrow. 
We got to play basketball, and one kid about my age was really interested in who we were.  He left before I could give him a call.  Next time!

Mar. 20, Fri:  We helped the Miller's (w/ Alec) move their huge food storage supply to the house next door they are moving into. 
We had a lesson appointment with a former investigator today, but she wasn't there when we went over, but her husband was there, so we taught him the Restoration, and picked him up as a new investigator.  And we hope to catch both of them home together sometime!
Both our appointments for Sherwood and Julie fell through, so that was tough! :(  
Even our dinner appointment with Sis. Horne & Bro. Johnny Brown fell through.  So, we decided to go to this hippie pizza place.  We struck up a conversation with the two gentleman at the next table, and we were able to talk with them about who we are.  They were really friendly and really admired us, so they paid for our dinner!  WOW! 
President Salisbury called me and asked me to give the benediction tomorrow!

Mar. 21, Sat:  See above statements about Elder Christofferson. 
In order to get up to Charleston, we had to wake up @ 3:00 in the morning to drive up there.  We carpooled with the Radford Elders, so I slept most of the drive there and back.
 We were able to teach Sister Guthrie today with the Sundberg's (who are perfect fellowshippers for her).  She's been going through some depression, so we had a powerful lesson with her on God's love for each and every single one of us.  It seemed like most of us were in tears, especially Elder Olsen - he has such a good heart! 
At the end of the night, we were able to teach Amos the blessings of Baptism, and explain how we are so ready to help him get there!  He wants us to meet his parents, too!  woohoo.

Mar. 22, Sun:  Church was great today!  The problem is; church starts @ 9:00, and the majority of the people roll in @ 9:15.  Amos didn't come, and he didn't respond to any of our texts.  Alec came today, and Beta was able to come with him!  They are so great for each other!  The Banks family came for the first time in Elder Olsen and my tenure here. (Bro. Banks is the one we play basketball with).  He informed us of all the March Madness news!  Utes in the Sweet 16 - Woo HOo! 
We had a wonderful little Baptism after church - another 8 year old girl!  The family had us over for lunch after, as well!  
We were able to have some good discussions with people today while tracting!  We handed out two copies of the Book of Mormon with a "Come by anytime!" card.
We also taught Venee Finley and picked her up as a new investigator.  She's a Jehovah's Witness, and says she won't be a Mormon, but is interested in our beliefs.  We just have to get her to read the Book of Mormon! 

Well, thanks for listening!  I love Missionary Work!  I Testify this is an amazing work!  Elder D. Todd Christofferson is an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, as well as the other 14 members of The First Presidency and The Twelve.  There was no denying that Spirit!  We are so blessed to be led and guided by these valiant men!  I can't wait for Conference in two weeks! 

Please everyone, prepare for General Conference with questions! 

I love you all! 

-Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment