This week we picked up four new investigators! But, for those, we only taught two
member-present lessons. How does that work out? I'll tell you!
Mar. 23, Mon: For P-Day, we went fishing.
I only caught one fish, but
we'll get them next time!
Fishing was very enjoyable.
Brother Clower took us out to
Subway, and then we went to Sister Horne's and Johnny Brown's. Sister Horne's
nonmember mother, (who we call "Ma," I don't know her real name) was really
interested in the 13 Articles of Faith. We shared them with her, and she stated,
"That's GOOD." She probably would come to church, but she has to stay home with
her bedridden husband. (We call him "Pops." Again, I don't know his real
name.)
Mar. 24, Tues: We had district meeting here in Floyd.
| Back (from L to R): Sister Zschoke, Sister Lively, Elder Higgins
Front:
Elder Ballard, Elder Brenchley (Me), Elder Olsen |
{How great do we look?!?}
I
planned the most for this meeting. I opened it up to discussion on everyone's thoughts
about our mission conference we had on Sunday, and everyone shared something
that I didn't pick up the first go around. For my portion, I went about sharing
Ammon and King Lamoni's story (Alma 18), and how we, as missionaries, can better
discern our investigator's concerns and teach them exactly what they need.
After
district meeting, I began our exchange with the zone leaders. Elder Moses came
with me to Floyd. We performed a lot of service today, and got to know each
other real well and learn from him a lot.
This evening, we taught Jodie, he's a
former investigator who Elder Olsen has taught twice. I've never met him, so
Elder Moses and I were two new faces. Here's Jodie's situation: he's living with a
less-active, named Katie (not married). They both have kids; 3 girls, 3 boys - exactly
like the Brady Bunch! Anyway, does this whole scenario sound familiar at all? We
got an understanding of what makes them happy, and simply laid it out for them.
The steps to happiness and the temple are: prayer (personal, couple, family),
scripture study, Family Home Evening (which we are going over Monday to do with
them), and going to church. It's that simple. That's another great thing I love about
this gospel; how simple it is, as long as we do what we should be doing.
Mar. 25, Wed: We had more service on our schedule today, volunteering at Angels
in the Attic.
We had a lesson with a recent convert named, Brother Witska. He can't
hear real well, so you almost have to shout! :) "WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT
VERSE?"
We also had Branch Missionary Coordination and the Branch missionaries,
the Banks', came! They came on Sunday for the first time since I've been here, so
they're reactivating themselves! They added a lot of great input and it turns out
they know our investigator, Amos. They offered to have him over for dinner/lesson. WooHoo! We just found the perfect fellowshippers! THAT, to me
personally, was a tender mercy we needed!
Mar. 26, Thur: We had a member-present appointment with the Sunberg's to go
see Julie, a referral. 20 minutes before our appointment, she cancelled. I've
seen that way too much on my mission!
We did have a good back-up plan, and went
to a less-active named, Cathy Huff. She's the only African American lady in our
ward (except the Jeppeson's kids from Ethiopia). But, there is still a great deal
of diversity here in Floyd County.
At basketball tonight, we had a really cool
experience. This 20 year-old guy named, Ricky, was guarding me and I was guarding
him. We got to talking about exactly who I was, and what I was doing. During
games, I was teaching him about the many churches and that we believe in one
Restored Church. I told him afterwards we could get him a pamphlet and a Book of
Mormon. He was so anxious to get those! We exchanged phone numbers, and HE set-up an
appointment for Saturday! WOW!
Mar. 27, Fri: My Click Day! Seven months a missionary!
We didn't drive a mile
today in our car. Our miles are getting real low, so we walked into town and then
Brother Hall (1st Counselor in the Bishopric) took us out to Pilot (where the Lafon's, Fraizer's, & Sherwood lives). It's not even in Floyd County, but in our area.
We
visited some less-actives, but weren't able have any lessons. But it was good - Brother Hall was handing out callings to all the less-actives in an effort to get
them to come back to church!
We had dinner at the Fraizer's, then talked with the Lafon's about The
Family: A Proclamation to the World.
Mar. 28, Sat: Like I've said before, downtown Floyd is the place to be on
Saturdays! There are so many people, where it's so dead at other times. The "Because He
Lives" (#BecauseHeLives) Easter Initiative started today (very similar to 'He is the Gift" for
Christmas), so we were talking and passing out cards left
and right! We ITL'd (Invite to Learn) nine people today!
We then got a ride with Sister Horne and
Bro. Brown up to the Stake Easter program they had at the Radford Chapel.
After we rode back down, we were able to get Sister Krista Fraizer to come
with us to our appointment with Ricky. She's 21, so we thought she'd be a great
fit. The lesson went great! Not only was Ricky there, but Dustin, his roommate
who we also played basketball with, and Sam, one of their friends, were there - all 20 yr.
olds. They followed along in the pamphlet and asked great questions! Sister Fraizer did such a good job of testifying of the Book of Mormon and invited
them all to read it! Sweet! They were a little hesitant about coming to church.
We'll see all of them at basketball Thursday, or hopefully sooner! Three new
investigators!
Mar. 29, Sun: We couldn't get a hold of Amos all weekend, so we weren't able
to set up a ride to church for him - darn! I was able to bless the Sacrament today! Alec was
there and the Banks' were there for the second straight Sunday, and Bro. Banks gave
a wonderful thought at the end of the 3rd hour meeting on keeping the Sabbath
Day holy.
The rest of the day was so quick; tracting, a lunch appointment, and a dinner appointment!
Well, WE got to go fishing, so I gotta run!
Everyone should be so excited for Conference this Easter Weekend! I testify
the words are meant to help us receive salvation!
And watch the video at helives.mormon.org !
Just remember how simple this Gospel it is! Also, how flawless it is! Do the
basics, and you'll be all right. 3 Nephi 27: 21-22.
I love You All!
-Love Elder Brenchley


Warms a grandmother's heart!!
ReplyDelete