Mon. April 11: P-Day. We had the 3rd Brenchley Invitational; it was a good turnout of missionaries, but not too many non-members came.
Baller update: I'm playing good ball, and can now grab the rim! White guys can jump! Maybe?
Baller update: I'm playing good ball, and can now grab the rim! White guys can jump! Maybe?
We had dinner at the Vance's house. They are a brand new family that moved into the ward (and our area). They will be such a blessing to Roanoke 1st ward. They have 4 kids who are teenagers (ages 19,18,16,14). They are really kind and awesome.
The zone leaders were nice enough to loan us their car for an hour so we could go pick up Brother Frankie Rosser.
Brother Frankie Rosser was going to come with us to Myra and Roxanne's but his car broke down. He came with us to the lesson, and he bore his powerful testimony of the Word of Wisdom, and we explained that. He said his life has done a 180 since he has lived the Word of Wisdom. He's their cousin and you can't get a better member fellowshipper than a family member who really loves them.
| {Shh...don't tell anyone, but the "Bike Elders" are using the car} |
Tues. April 12: We had a brief lesson with Brian on Virginia Western's campus (where he goes to school).
We found a new investigator named Ben - he's a real humble guy.
Brother Gentry came with us to see Jim Flemming. Brother Gentry is a former Methodist, like Jim currently is, so he was really good for Jim's lesson.
We had a good visit with Brother Ostrander - he still has some doubts about the Church, but said he might come this Sunday.
Wed. April 13: We had several appointments reschedule for today, so not too much to talk about today.
We went to dinner at the Gundlach's and had Missionary Coordination meeting.
Thur. April 14: We had interviews with President Salisbury this morning at the church. They were really uplifting - he said he was going to miss me come August. He also encouraged me to study Mosiah 1 & 2, and look for the keys to success (see the end of the email).
I had a dentist appointment with the Cave Spring ward's dentist, and he was able to fix my loose retainer. The zone leaders had to take time out of their schedule, so I bought them a Little Caesar's pizza.
We had two visits fall through again.
We talked to Chad - he's a really cool guy, a Methodist, but he did Missionary Work, so I think that alone softened his heart, and he wanted us to come back.
Fri. April 15: We had a visit with Brother Lloyd, and Sister Vest joined us for that. We focused on how we can endure to the end, by studying in 2 Nephi 31.
We then biked to Myra and Roxanne's. Sister Vest really wanted to come with us too, but we couldn't ride in her car by ourselves, so we biked probably 15 blocks, up and down hills, and we beat Sister Vest who drove her car! Anyway, we had Brother Arrington meet us up there, too, and all four of us had a good follow up lesson on the Word of Wisdom with Myra and Roxanne. The only thing that will be a struggle for them is tea, and the occasional cup of coffee. Both Brother Arrington and Sister Vest were able to bear testimony of when they first started living the Word of Wisdom.
We were in the 'hood today! I almost watched a fight break-out between a guy named Charles and three teenagers. Charles yelled at them, "I've been in this 'Hood my whole life!" I guess that made the teenagers back off.
| {A funny licence plate I saw} |
Sister Thornton came with us to Johnathan and Courtney. We talked about Faith, and having the faith to follow God's will. We bore testimony that it was God's will for them to be baptized and join the true Church of Jesus Christ.
We went to the Baptism of Zuleica Crosse. She's a 9-year old in the Sister's area, so she's technically a convert Baptism. Us four Elders were asked to sing at the Baptism. I picked my favorite Baptism song, "When I am Baptized."
Sat. April 16: We were guided by The Spirit to make a wrong turn or two, and we were led to a lady who was interested in our message; she lived in the zone leaders' area, but they taught her on Sunday.
We had dinner at the Laymon's. We were able to "game plan" with them about how to continue to help Johnathan and Courtney, as well as other people, accept the Gospel.
We gave a lesson to Patricia, and Brother Steedman came with us. We were able to make progress with her, and were able to get her the Book of Mormon on her Smart Phone, with big text, so she can read now. Brother Steedman is trying to convince us to become nurses. I'm thinking about it.
Sun. April 17: Myra and Roxanne came to church! They both loved it! Everyone there loves them! They felt The Spirit throughout all the meetings. It is only a matter of time for them - they are both so wonderful!
| Myra wrote me and Elder Jolley this poem (they can't say/remember my name, so they always call me "Elder B") |
.
We had a lesson with a our newer investigator named Ben. He had read all the way to 1 Nephi 11, since Tuesday. He enjoyed the Restoration lesson, and said he'd think about Baptism. He also said he'd be a hard convert ( he didn't say he wouldn't, just that it'd be hard). :) We talked to two guys right downstairs from Ben, who were high on a particular illegal substance, and they were not all there. They couldn't believe our beliefs related to the Word of Wisdom.
In our lesson with Brother Nate Henegar, we showed him, "Choices" - the clip of President Monson's talk from this past conference. We talked with him what "harder right" instead of the "easier wrong" choices he needs to start making in his life (like coming to church, living the Word of Wisdom, etc.)
We were able to have a lesson with some new investigators named, Anthony and Chiquita. Anthony was asking all the right questions, however he did like to expound, and Chiquita kept glaring at him because he was talking too much, and she wanted to listen to us!
We had a lesson with another new investigator named, Kim. Brother Blevins and Brother Vogel came with us. The lesson was very disruptive, because she had four kids climbing, screaming everywhere!
Sasha, who we found and taught last week, texted us, and basically said she wasn't interested and was fine with her own church. We went over there, in Faith, and bore our testimonies and taught The Restoration, which answered a lot of her questions. I know she felt The Spirit, no doubt. She said, "You are good!" It actually was The Spirit that was good! We saw her heart soften to the message, and she said she'd keep the Book of Mormon, but she didn't want to schedule a return appointment without talking to her husband. We were saddened because she was really awesome, but someday missionaries can have the wonderful opportunity to pick up where we left off.
Well, that's the week! The weeks keep flying by, and I think it's because we strive to be so busy!
So, back to thinking of Mosiah 1 & 2, like President Salisbury encouraged me to study, and look for the advice King Benjamin gives to his sons and his people to see success...he also told me if I would apply it in my life, I would see success.
As I studied the two chapters, I loved the simple tips throughout. But a reoccurring one, was Keep the Commandments.
I think Mosiah 2:41 sums it up really well!
41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.
I love this Gospel so much! Let us see what we can do, what commandments we can keep better, so we can see success in our life, and be in a blessed and happy state, so that we may be blessed in temporal things and spiritual things.
I love the Lord, and if I and you truly love him, we will keep his commandments.
Love, Elder Brenchley
You are going to have so much to talk about when you report your mission. What an outstanding missionary you are!
ReplyDelete