Anyone still on that General Conference high? I know I am still! It's nice to have all the titles of the talks, and I was able to download all of them to USB, and listen to them during lunch and dinner (since we don't have a car I can just plug it into anymore.)
This week was a week of patience and learning. I love learning, and feel like I really grew this week, as well. If I can sum up what I learned this week, it is that Jesus is the way, and Be persistent!
It was really fun and my high was 163. Our investigator, Jim Flemming (who you'll hear about on Tuesday) is a bowler and his best score is 278, I think; all strikes with one spare).
Darell and David both weren't home today when we went to visit. Brother Lloyd had to reschedule, too, so everything just fell through.
Elder Jolley had a prompting we should go see Antionette. We had planned to see her, but earlier. We did, and she wasn't home, but we knocked her apartment complex and that's when we found Deja! She just moved in two weeks ago and is looking for a church. She was willing to listen to our message! We taught her the Restoration and she was really excited for us to come back! I mentioned, "Deja, I don't think it's a coincidence that we were able to find you tonight." She replied, "I don't think so either." She's so awesome...and then I slaughter her and her daughter's names (Domianna) in the closing prayer. :/
April 5, Tues: We talked to Muhammad Karoma. His family were former investigators. At the time, 7 years ago, they were Muslim, but they are Christian now. Muhammad went to SVU for a year, so he was interested in talking to Mormons after going to a "Mormon School."
The only real highlight of the day was is that we were able to go and teach Jim with Brother Richardson. We invited Jim to be baptized, and he wasn't sure about Priesthood Authority. Brother Richardson bore his testimony - we will definitely go over everything again with Jim, but it's really tough for him to feel the Spirit of our message without being able to read from the Book of Mormon. (his large print Book of Mormon came on Saturday).
April 6, Wed: We did a lot better job at talking to people today, and tried some new streets.
Brother Winkler was going to come with us to see our investigator, Saprinia - when we texted her to confirm our appointment, she told she would be in jail for the next couple of months to a year......... So that's a bummer. :/
Nate Henear, the ward's most recent convert, wasn't home either when we went to go see him.
We went to Taco Bell to make our day a little bit better.
We had Missionary Coordination meeting tonight.
April 7, Thur: We did our weekly planning.
We visited with Brother Lloyd; he's not doing too well, and we hope we can help him keep his recent convert fire.
We were able to have a good visit with Brother Jack Turner - his aunt had just passed away, so he was really appreciative of the uplifting visit.
Today, we got pelted with rain!
We knocked on one man's door on Windsor Ave, and he was very uninterested, but he gave us two referrals! One of those was a sweet, older lady named, Hillevi. She's from Sweden and she is really fun and friendly. She said she couldn't be Mormon, but we still wanted to come share our message with her. She was real fun to talk to.
April 8, Fri: Happy 14th birthday to my sister, Haylee!
We started the day off with a wonderful zone meeting; I really enjoyed the teaching portion of getting along with your companion, and how much power you have when you are in unity.
| {Me and my companion, Elder Jolley, united-ly eating Mac & Cheese and drinking blue punch together!} |
The Vaassen family and Hodge family always feed the missionaries after zone meeting. It's a fun get together!
Then we went on exchanges; Elder Young came with me to Roanoke. We had a very busy and very uplifting exchange.
We were able to go see Courtney with Brother Winkler - she is changing so much. I think it's been the humbling experience of a week-long sickness, great member friends (the Lloyd's), and actually opening up the Book of Mormon that is helping this change. We were able to define the word, "Atonement" for her, and Brother Winkler committed her to come to church.
We also went and saw Sister Jeanie Hale, since we had a male (Brother Winkler) with us. We reviewed what she liked about Conference, and taught about keeping the Sabbath Day holy.
We went to talk to people downtown. Elder Young wanted to do some training on how to better engage people, and teach them the brief Restoration. I liked the practice and being able to feel confident about talking to people. Even though no one was interested, if we keep at it, someone will be led to us.
We went to Steven and Kayla's (a potential investigator couple). Kayla started out by saying, "I have my own church, and I appreciate what you do." We could have totally been like, "Alright, well, call us if you need anything." BUT Elder Young is a good example of being persistent. I hope to apply that more. We just started teaching her and helping her feel the Spirit. By the end of our little porch talk (Steven had come out at this point, too), she was asking if she could have a Book of Mormon! It was a really cool experience. They are moving to the zone leaders' area, but we will pass them on.
We originally went to go see Garrett, but he wasn't available, so we were able to have a lesson with Brother Gary Tourville. This was really good; he has been confused on the Godhead, and we were able to teach the doctrine.
Cowling's came with us to Myra and Roxanne's. Roxanne actually wasn't feeling good, so we were just able to teach Myra. Cowling's (who are converts) did a good job of testifying of the blessings of the Gospel and living it day to day. We taught the importance of being obedient to the commandments.
We had dinner at the Blevins'; chili taco salad. Brother Blevins said we put a dent in it. I felt like it put a dent in me!
Brother Blevins came with us to see Brian. Brian really wants to get back to living the lifestyle of a Mormon. He hasn't been going to church, doing scripture study, etc. He recognized he didn't have the spirituality he had when he was meeting with us.
April 9, Sat: We exchanged back -it was a really good exchange with Elder Young.
Elder Jolley and I started our day off by prioritizing, calling, and planning to see former investigators.
We were able to sit down and have a Gospel discussion with Muhammad and his father, Edmund. They accepted a Book of Mormon. Muhammad is going back to Africa for three weeks, but he told us that his mother goes to a Latter-Day Saint church in Sierra Leon, and he will probably get married to his fiance in an LDS church. Cool!
We met Tiffany; she seemed interested in our message. We set-up a return appointment...after she told us she was drunk. :/
We went to try the other referral on Windsor Avenue, and Hillivi was walking her dog. She came up to us and talked to us - again she stated she wasn't going to be Mormon, and she didn't want us to come over on Monday evening. She can talk! Being persistent, we talked about why we wanted to share the Gospel with her -- so she and her husband (who had passed away 20 years ago) could be together forever.
She said, "I'm not sure about living again."
I asked her, "Do you not believe in living again with God?"
And she said, "Do you really believe you can live again, after death, with your family?"
I looked her straight in the eyes, and gently but boldly said, "YES!"
She said she's not ready for us, but maybe if we would have come 20 years ago when her husband died she would have been ready.
I then asked her, "Would you pray to God and ask him why he let us meet you at this point in her lifetime?"
She started crying, and said, "Thank you," tried to give us an awkward hug, but then walked away because she was too caught up in her emotions and couldn't contain herself, and she didn't want to be embarrassed by crying in front of us. I know with all my heart that the Spirit touched her heart and it overwhelmed her. I know she felt something she had never felt before. I will definitely go visit her again before I leave Roanoke.
We also had a visit with the Toler family.
April 10, Sun: We had Ward Conference today - it was really good, I really enjoyed the teachings/training of President Bohon and President Light from the Stake Presidency.
We were hoping for five people today at church (Courtney & Johnathan, Brian, Myra & Roxanne), but only Myra ended up coming with her cousin, Brother Rosser. We were still happy to get her.
After Church, President Light came with us to see Brother Lawerance in the Nursing Home; he really isn't doing well now. President Light brought his iPad and showed him President Monson's Sunday morning address from General Conference. Brother Lawerance really enjoyed that.
We were able to find and teach Brenda and Wesley, an African-American couple in their 60's. They have such a testimony of prayer, and we built off of that.
It was Fast Sunday here, so it was good to have dinner, but also to remember who and what I was fasting for all day.
While looking for a former investigator, we found a woman named, Sasha. She is from Rochester, NY, and was very familiar with the Mormon beliefs because she lived so close to Palmyra. She accepted a Book of Mormon, and we are excited to teach her again.
| {View of Roanoke from a bridge} |
So, going back to what I learned this week:
Jesus Christ is the way and be persistent.
I studied, in depth, 2 Nephi 31. It is becoming my favorite chapter of scripture. I would challenge all of the email readers to do the same! Let me know if you will take the challenge. It simply teaches the doctrine of Christ, and is so powerful in just a short 21 verses. I will just expound on the last two verses. (Verse 20 happens to be the Youth Theme this year!)
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
Doesn't verse 20 just sound like having persistence?
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.
Two plug-ins from Conference:
"Do you want to see your wife's heart melt? Let her find you on the internet studying the doctrine of Christ, or reading your scriptures." -Russell M. Nelson
"There will be times when the path ahead seems dark, but keep following the Savior. He knows the way; in fact, HE IS THE WAY." - Stephen W. Owen
I know Jesus Christ is the way, and sharing His Gospel, and living His Gospel takes persistence!
I Love You All!
Love, Elder Brenchley
No comments:
Post a Comment