Hey Ya'll!
Betty got baptized this Sunday! It was a wonderful experience. She was just glowing.
| Betty and the Butler's |
The ward support was great! 54 people were there. After the program was over, it took a little bit of time for us to get over there and congratulate her with all the people hugging her and what not. She was so ready, and had such a great desire! She has a great testimony of the Gospel and the Book of Mormon, while fully admitting she has a lot more to learn!
It was a pretty busy Sunday to add on top of that! I gave a talk on "How Do we Receive Answers to Gospel Questions?" And then after Betty's Baptism, we had to rush down to Lynchburg, so we could interview the Amherst Elders’ investigator, Melissa. I was blessed to interview her (my 4th Baptismal interview on my mission) and Baptismal interviews are just wonderful!
As for the rest of the week:
Wed. Nov. 4: Happy Birthday Katelyn! 11! LOVE YA!
We were able to shop, which we needed badly after the 10 days from last P-Day.
We had a lesson with Betty and Debbie on Family History. We were able to teach the Why of Family History. When we brought up the temples, they didn't think Carl (their deceased husband/father) would have to be baptized before they could be sealed to him. They mentioned he had already been baptized. We were able to go over Priesthood authority again. Betty mentioned how sad that is, that all these people in other churches haven't been getting baptized correctly. I then said, “Do you see why temple work, family history work, and missionary work is so important?” Betty received it well, Debbie still had some concerns.
We had dinner at the Langford's. Brother Langford is on SVU's basketball team, and they played Weber State out in Utah this weekend.
Thur. Nov. 5: Transfer Day.
We had a long day of planning. We weren't affected by the transfer day in our companionship, but we were able to call and welcome seven new members to the zone.
We also seemed to strike out with everyone we went and tried today.
Fri. Nov. 6: We met with a former investigator named, Nancy. Brother Alvstad came with us. She's a real nice lady. She's a talker! It's called “the Mouth of the South!” But she has great potential! Both her mom and her sister are members. We committed her to read and pray about the Restoration and Joseph Smith's testimony, which she was reading before we got there.
We had dinner at BV's best restaurant, "Originals." We requested Severin's wife, Jessica, as our waitress. She was really nice, and gave us 10% off. It pays to know people! We've been hoping to teach her, as well. As we were leaving, she asked us, “When are you coming to see Severin?” Maybe our tip softened her heart? :)
Sat. Nov. 7: I had some time to prepare for my talk for Sunday. I was only notified Thursday or so that I’d be speaking.
We had some appointments cancelled, but we were able to walk and knock some doors. It seems like everyone in this town has already talked to the missionaries!
We had dinner with the Anderson's. They had some friends visiting from out of town. They were members, but they've been struggling with the concept of God, and the Church's stance on recent same-gender topics. It was perfect, because the message we had for the Anderson's was using the Book of Mormon to handle objections. If the Book of Mormon is true, then we do have Prophets and Apostles are on the earth today! Then that means The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are inspired of God! It's simple!
Sun. Nov. 8: Talk, Baptism, Baptismal interview (as mentioned above)
So, regarding my talk, "How Do we Receive Answers to Gospel Questions?"... I was given Elder James B. Martino's talk, "Turn to Him, and Answers will Come." I loved preparing for this talk. I will send a copy of it home. It might take some time because I wrote it out on paper. (No fancy iPads to write it up on here.) I brought everything back to the Book of Mormon. Is the Book of Mormon true? I realized I have a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon, and I got a bit emotional as I bore my testimony. Many ward members told me they enjoyed my talk today, and some asked for a copy of it. (Again, it'll take some time for me to type it out.)
| Elder Johnson, Betty, and I |
After church was Betty's Baptism! She was a little nervous, but everything turned out all right. Brother Butler was able to baptize her, and Elder Johnson and I said the opening and closing prayer. She seemed so happy! So many people were there that loved her! Her grandson, Nathan, came, and he lives in Lexington - the Lexington Sisters came and they were able to talk to him and get his phone number!
Soon afterwards, we rushed down to Lynchburg. I was able to interview Melissa Israel. She's been investigating the Church for over a year! She and her current husband just had to wait for her divorce from her former marriage to be finalized, so they could get married to each other. She has had a lot of patience to wait a whole year while things worked out, but I really enjoyed getting to know her, and to interview her.
It was dark and the roads were curvy driving back up to Buena Vista, but we made it back safe and sound.
Well, how great of a week it was! We are in the process of getting a Recent Convert temple trip going, with so many converts in the Buena Vista Stake. Pointing them to the temple is so crucial! We have a goal as a mission to help 100 % of converts submit names to the temple within 30 days!
The joy the Gospel brings is just wonderful! I love every bit of it! I hope you know how much happiness it's brought in your life. Remember the times you have felt the Spirit testifying to you this is what is right!
Continue to be faithful!
Love, Elder Brenchley
No comments:
Post a Comment