WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Monday, November 16, 2015

Sacrament Meeting Talk

Note: Given in the Buena Vista Ward, Sunday November 8, 2015


“How do I get Answers to Gospel Questions?”
By Elder Ryan Brenchley 

I’m so excited to talk today and pray the Holy Ghost will bear witness of truth here today.  I just wanted to bear a quick testimony on the blessing of studying words of the Lord’s anointed servants.  My testimony and knowledge has increased, as I took a little time to study Elder James B. Martino’s talk, “Turn to Him and Answers Will Come.”  The words of the living servants of the Lord that are found in General Conference and the Ensign are modern-day scripture.  I’ve been asked to talk on “How do I get Answers to Gospel Questions?”  As I mentioned, I was assigned the talk “Turn to Him and Answers Will Come” from Elder James B. Martino from this past October 2015 General  Conference.  I hope to share my thoughts and inspiration on how anyone of us can obtain the answers or help we are seeking, especially the simple Gospel truths that help us have a firm foundation of faith.  Elder James B. Martino states: “The Process begins with being converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”  We know the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be faith, repentance, Baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
                President Uchtdorf said in this past conference, “This beautiful Gospel is so simple a child can grasp it, yet so profound and complex that it will take a lifetime—even an eternity—of study and discovery to fully understand it.”  I know that we can get answers from our Heavenly Father to Gospel questions.  Elder Martino also states: “Be obedient, remember the times when you have felt the Spirit in the past, and ask in faith.  Your answer will come.
                Continuing obedience allows us to receive answers. 1 Nephi 15: 10-11 reads: 

10 Behold, I said unto them: How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts?
 11 Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things [will] be made known unto you.
Obedience to the commandments is so essential to receiving revelation.  As we keep the commandments, we show our love for our Heavenly Father.

Next. Do you remember when you have felt the spirit in the past?  Remember those times.  Remember how good the Spirit felt.  Also remember the circumstances that led you to feeling the spirit.  I LOVE feeling the Spirit.  I know as I have sought for the Spirit, I had to turn to Him.  As I have done this, I have received answers to many Gospel questions.

I have found that one of the biggest questions, if not the biggest question, that anyone who might, who will, or who has joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is: “Is the Book of Mormon True?”  I know the Book of  Mormon is true.  I know there is such power in the Book of Mormon.  Brothers and Sisters, I have a testimony of this book!  Any Question or objection anyone has about the church, it’s doctrine, it’s beliefs, it’s stance, can all go back to whether the Book of Mormon is true.
President Ezra Taft Benson taught: “We are to use the Book of Mormon in handling objections to the Church. ..… All objections, whether they be on abortion, plural marriage, seventh-day worship, same-sex marriage, etc., basically hinge on whether Joseph Smith and his successors were and are prophets of God receiving divine revelation. …… The only problem the objector has to resolve for himself is whether the Book of Mormon is true. For if the Book of Mormon is true, then Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was his prophet, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and it is being led today by a prophet receiving revelation. Our main task is to declare the gospel and do it effectively. We are not obligated to answer every objection. Every man eventually is backed up to the wall of faith, and there he must make his stand.”
Preach My Gospel also adds: Investigators [or anyone] must resolve for themselves their concerns and objections.  You can help as you focus them on what will strengthen their faith in Jesus Christ—reading and praying about the Book of Mormon.  When they strengthen their testimony of the Restoration, they will have the strength to overcome their objections and concerns.  As you answer concerns, remember that our understanding comes from modern prophets—Joseph Smith and his successors—who receive direct revelation from God.  Therefore, the first question for an investigator to answer is whether Joseph Smith was a prophet, and he or she can answer this question by reading and praying about the Book of Mormon.
So how do we receive the answer to: the divinity of the Book of Mormon, if Joseph Smith is a Prophet, and other Gospel questions?  In Matthew 7:7-8 the Savior Jesus Christ taught:
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Also in 3 Nephi 18:20 the Savior to the Nephites said:
20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.
I testify we can receive answers through Prayer, as our Savior has taught.  What I love, is the Lord Loves questions!  Ask him anything, even questions that bring up concerns. President Uchtdorf said: “A question that creates doubt in some can, after careful investigation, build faith in others.”  He also said, “Doubt your doubts before you doubt your Faith.”
Elder Martino states: “If you have been tempted to murmur, if you have had doubt that leads to unbelief, if trials seem more than you can bear, turn to Him.  If you are one who has turned away or rationalized your behavior, turn to Him.  Can you remember when He did “speak peace to your mind …?  What greater witness can you have than from God?”  Ask yourself, “Am I as close to living like Christ now as I was before?”  Please, turn to Him.”
As we turn to him, to receive help, especially in prayer, we need to make sure our prayers are meaningful.  The Book of Mormon prophet, Mormon, warns us:
9…….if he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.
To pray and ask with real intent, to me, means to do something with the answer we receive, not just to do something, but to act in Faith.  Elder Bednar highlighted this and gives one of the best examples of acting in faith.  That is the example of the boy Joseph Smith.  Elder Bednar states: “Joseph’s questions focused not just on what he needed to know but also on what was to be done!  His prayer was not simply, “Which church is right?”  His question was, “Which church should I join?”  Joseph went to the grove to ask in faith, and he was determined to act.”

Brothers and Sisters, I promise you, that your questions will lead to increased faith, as long as you are willing to act in faith.  Your answers can be a process, but Do Not Give Up!  Never Give Up!  I pray, as you have listened this afternoon, that the Spirit has impressed on your minds and hearts something that you might do to have your questions answered.


I want to close with my testimony.  And don’t you know, I’m going to bring it back to the Book of Mormon.  Jesus is the Christ, our personal Savior and personal friend.  I know this because of the Book of Mormon.  Joseph Smith is a Prophet; I know this, as well, because of the Book of Mormon.  I know Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, as well as the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles.  I know that by studying their words and the Book of Mormon.  I know this is the true Church because of the Book of Mormon.  I promise you will come to know your Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ better as you read the Book of Mormon.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment