WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Monday, April 20, 2015

Is This Your First Baptismal Interview?

Hey Ya'll!

How's it going? 

To make a brief summary of this week; this was a great week!
ALSO: We finally got over the hump of just ONE investigator attending Sacrament Meeting and ONE investigator with a Baptismal date (Alec).   Jodie" came to Sacrament Meeting, and we found a new investigator and he is on date for Baptism! 

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE: As District Leader, I have the blessed opportunity to interview all investigators in our district for Baptism (excluding my own investigators).  I had the blessed opportunity to conduct my first Baptismal interview with the Dublin Sisters’ investigator, Zayne.  Let me tell you a little about Zayne; he's just 14 yrs. old.  The sister missionaries first met him at church, and he told the missionaries, "I Want to be Baptized!"  He had done a lot of research and understands all of the Gospel principles!  I loved the opportunity to interview him: 

I asked Zayne before the interview, "Is this your first Baptismal Interview?"
"Yes," he respond
ed.  (Really puzzled at the question.) 
"Mine too," I replied, we both chuckled, "but Zayne, I expect this to be one of the most spiritual moments of both of our lives!"
 
I can testify that it was!  Here is an elect child of God, only 14 yrs. of age, who was fully ready to make covenants with God.  He is so knowledgeable of the Gospel with such a great testimony.  I'm so grateful  for being called as District Leader - I feel one of the reasons I’m grateful is so I could have the blessed opportunity to interview this young man!  This interview truly blessed both of our lives!

Zayne Linkous was baptized Saturday, April 18, and then confirmed a member of the Church on Sunday, April 19.

As for the rest of the blessed week:

April 13, Mon: 
P-Day.  Elder Boyd, being the super clean guy that he is, had us clean some more!  And we threw away even more trash! 
I spent some time catching up on writing letters.  If I haven't written you back, please tell me!  I've been behind.  :(
Then, while trying to contact some potential investigators, we heard the Eulogy from this one man - in the end, he at least took a card.

April 14, Tues:  We had a good District meeting; I spent my portion on the importance of change/repentance (both for missionaries and investigators).
We went out contacting in the down-pouring rain! 
We had a lesson with Jodie on the importance of reading the Book of Mormon and coming to church.  He committed to do both! 

April 15, Wed:  We did our weekly service at Angels in the Attic and met some fine people.
We had three appointments set today, and two fell through.  We did have a great lesson with Johnny Brown and Sister Horne on Missionary Work.
We drove up to the Radford chapel to interview Zayne for Baptism (see above comments).
We had dinner at Applebee's in Radford because A) We don't have any restaurants like it in Floyd, and B) All you can eat wings and fries on Wednesday!  WooHOO!  

April 16, Thur: We had weekly planning, and we spent time actually planning what part of the county we will be in each day (that saves BIG on miles).
We met with Taylor today.  He's Bro. Banks' cousin and a former investigator.  He came to church and met with missionaries when he was 16 yrs. old.  He's now 21. We taught him the Restoration lesson, so now he’s a new investigator!
His next door neighbor, Stephen, is the hippie we ran into last week.  We stopped by and talked to him – luckily this time he'd showered and had a shirt on.  He was amazed with the Pearl of Great Price; I showed him the pictures/hieroglyphics in them, and he was like, "NO WAY!  That is so legit, Man!"  We’re meeting with him again soon! 
We played basketball tonight and Elder Boyd's height (6’2”) proved him to be a valuable rebounder. 
  
April 17, Fri:  We had a good lesson with Alec on obedience and tithing,

Me, Alec, Elder Boyd
and then we helped him build a chicken coop!
We had dinner and a lesson with the Lafon's.  We committed them to read the whole Book of Mormon, as a family, before they get sealed as a family in August.  AND memorize The First Vision (any of you back home take that challenge I gave ya'll?)

April 18, Sat:  We walked into busy downtown Floyd and talked with a lot of people! 
We contacted a referral, an 98 yr. old WWII vet, (he wasn't too interested in learning though :( ).  He gave me the best quote/advice for finding my wife, "Find someone who you can't live without." - Lawrence Wood
Brother and Sister Steen saw us in town, and bought us lunch.
We tried several potential investigators, and got one return appointment! 
We went to have a lesson with Amos, and it wasn't a good teaching environment; there was a crowd, the T.V. was blasting, and Amos spent a good chunk of our visit trying to convince us drinking beer is OK and that Jesus drank and smoked. Uh, What? Anyway, he still wants to come to church, so big PLUS.  We'll just to have all future visits/lessons in a member’s home or at the church.

April 19, Sun:
We had two investigators come to church; Alec and Jodie!
We went contacting out in a rain storm – and broke two crappy umbrellas. 
We had a great lesson with Taylor - Brother Brown came with us!  The lesson was on the Plan of Salvation, and he committed to June. 7th as a Baptismal date! 
We ate dinner at the Banks' house.  

{LOVE THIS FAMILY!  They love sports, so they keep me updated!  Bro. Banks and I are BFF's}
 
We taught a lesson to the Banks on the April 2015 Ensign article, “Four Tools that Bring Promised Blessings” (prayer, scripture study, family home evening, and temple worship).


This was such a great week!  I was very blessed to experience this week!  President Salisbury has challenged each companionship to get 20 lessons in a week!  So, we will be working towards that!  The key to that is effective planning and goal setting.  I love the big emphasis on each.  I will definitely take these skills from my mission back home! 

I know this Gospel is true!  I know that Jesus Christ was the ultimate sacrifice, and through his Atonement and Gospel, we will be all right! 

Helaman 5:12 (a favorite scripture of a lot of you, I'm sure - it's my Mom's.)
But when we build our foundation on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, even if we stray away, go through trials, or make bad decisions....when we fall ROCK-bottom, guess who that Rock is?...........that's right; Jesus Christ, our Savior.


I Love You All! 

Love, Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment