WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Missionary Discussion FIRST, Go To the E.R. LATER

So, Ya'll....let me tell Ya!   I really LOVE this area!   I really LOVE Missionary work!   I Really LOVE Family History Work!  I really LOVE the Gospel!

This will actually be the first Valentine's Day I will actually be with someone! (My Companion Elder Caldwell) Even on V-Day I can't get away from him! JK I love him, too!

Anyway, this was a very mediocre week, with a lot of potential in the future!


Feb. 2, Mon:  Today was P-DAY, and OH! what a sad day!  My heart has been broken!  Subway no longer has any $5 footlongs! :(  The cheapest 6-INCH is $4.50 here in WV!
Anyway, we mostly stayed in today and then had dinner @ the Meador's with the Beckley elders to discuss with Bro. Meador (The EQ President) how we can help fix the Elders Quorum and the home teaching problem.

Feb. 3, Tues: We tracted for a long while and found a high school girl we'd found previously at a different house, and she was open to us coming and teaching her and her mom.
We had Bro. Snuffer coming out with us to an appointment and the potential we were going to go see fell through, so Bro. Snuffer wanted to go see Darryl.  Yes, Darryl.  Remember him?  Well, we wouldn't have gotten in the door if it hadn't have been for Bro. Snuffer.  We sat and listened as Bro. Snuffer tried to find Darryl's concerns with the Church.  Darryl said he'd try to finish reading the Book of Mormon and Bro. Snuffer wants him or Jennifer to give him a call if they want to ever come to church. So, that went better than I thought.
The Young's had us for dinner.

Feb. 4, Wed:  We spent a lot of time today trying to set up appointments (calling, texting, knocking, etc.)
Our appointment with Victoria and the Young's fell through. :(
We talked with this one former investigator named Wayne.  He asked us a very interesting question: "What was the last thing you prayed for, that was answered?"  The question was a new one I've never heard before.  I responded, "Well, we prayed for guidance where to go, and here we are on your porch!"  He doesn't believe there's a God because he says he's never had an answer to his prayer.  Well, we are definitely excited to start teaching him and his wife again.  But, we will really have to start with believing there is a God.  I can't say I have ever had to teach that lesson out here.  I'll probably get a taste of what teaching was like for mom and dad serving in Japan! 
We did end our night on a high note by teaching a lesson to the Hicks'.  Hopefully, they'll start coming back to church soon.

Feb. 5, Thur:  Today was busy, busy!  We had weekly planning, then a lesson with Tom Poe @ the church with Bishop Barnett.  We really hit on repentance and baptism.  With Tom, it's just really slow teaching him.  But, we were praying on a baptism date for him and will give it to him on Sunday.  He said he'd pray about baptism as well!
Then immediately after, we speed off to the McGrady's and they took us to Richard and Robin Snuffer's.  We saved on miles and got great fellowship there, as well!  We taught the importance of the Book of Mormon.  They haven't been reading and we committed them to read just 2-3 verses a night.
Heller's fed us for dinner.

Feb. 6, Fri:  We had zone meeting in the morning!  I got to reunite with my MTC companion Elder Williams, because he is one of our zone leaders.  The emphasis of the Zone Meeting was no weapons (so, I will have to send home my all my knives I have been receiving from Steven - more on him later) and stressing the importance of Family History!  We will definitely start using that as a finding tool more!
When we got back, we then taught Sister Cline with the Geisler's.  There was something different about this lesson.  Something clicked for Sister Cline that hasn't been there before.  We taught about Baptism and confirmation and the importance of proper Priesthood authority.  I showed her my Priesthood line of authority and she was able to understand better. 
The Geisler's were then so kind to take us out for pizza after! 
We ended the night by contacting a potential that was found all the way back in 2013, but the missionaries never taught her.  She is totally friendly and we set up an appointment!

Feb. 7, Sat:  So, both Elder Caldwell and I decided to center our Mormon.org study time on Family History to better understand how it works.  We can both testify that we are beginning to catch the Spirit of Elijah!  We both got really excited about it!  I was able to read some memories of some great grandparents.  And I even submitted a short memory of great grandpa Fowers.  I wish I had more time - family history work is really fun!  I encourage all of you back home to get into it!  It only takes a couple minutes.
We then tracted using Family History and found a great potential.
We had lunch @ the Laxton's for their 5-year old's birthday party! There were so many people I got to talk to and even handed out a Family History card.
We called up early to Matt & Jasmine's appointment because Matt hurt his shoulder while cutting down a tree and he wanted to take the discussion first, THEN go to the E.R.  He's such a stud.  So, we got up there ASAP and taught about the Plan of Salvation and praying.  Kevin, one of Sister Jackson's neighbors who works on the farm (he's about 16), actually was walking out the door when we started the lesson, but he stopped at the door, then took a seat, and stayed for the lesson and joined us for a kneeling prayer at the end!  How cool is that!  We then ate dinner and worked 'til it was dark.

Feb. 8, Sun:  Today, during Mission Correlation, the Oak Hill elders surprised us that Steven, their long time investigator, finally got First Presidency approval to be baptized.  Steven is a really cool guy; he's been coming to church since April 2014, and has been waiting on First Presidency approval.  He gives all the missionaries and the ward members pocket knives.  So, his nickname is, "The Knife Guy."  The Oak Hill elders later put him on date for Feb. 21.  I'm so happy for them; Oak Hill is a very tough Area, and we set a goal, as a district, for one Baptism this transfer.  Well, our investigators our on date after this transfer.  So, we all prayed, as a District and individually as a companionship, that we could achieve the goal of one baptism this transfer as a district.  Well, prayers are answered!
We had three investigators at church today: Matt & Jasmine (even with his hurt shoulder) and Richard & Robin Snuffer came, as well!  Sister Cline told us previously something came up, and we have no idea where Tom was. 
I taught the Lesson in Priesthood on Chapter 3 of Ezra Taft Benson.  I gave all the men a scripture or sheet of paper to read to get everyone involved!  Bro. Wallace said, "That's the most organized lesson I've ever seen in Priesthood!"  Does that mean it was a good lesson?
Since Tom Poe wasn't present, we couldn't have our lesson and offer him a baptismal date. :(
We went to Kroger's and ITL'd (Invite To Learn) after another appointment cancelled.
Then, we tracted 'til it was dark.  It was very warm yesterday!  63 degrees!  So, we made the most of it and spent some good time outside!  We used Family History as our tracting tool and found four potential investigators!
We also went to try a great potential family; they were headed out the door to go watch "Walking Dead" as a big extended family!  But, they need help with service, so we gave them a Book of Mormon and our number, and will be there Monday evening.

Woah!  That was a lot to bring up!  But, I hope You all have a great Valentine's week!  I challenge each one of you to find the thing You LOVE!

I LOVE THIS GOSPEL and LOVE ALL OF YOU!

Love, Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment