WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

No Longer a Teenager {gasp!}

So, it was my birthday this past week!  I was well taken care of with many b-day wishes, cards, desserts, free subs-on-your-birthday, etc.  Quite frankly, I was and still am nervous to be 20 yrs. old, I'm not a teenager anymore!  I can't believe it!

My birthday was also probably one of the most windiest days on my mission; we thought we were going to get blown away on our bikes!
This was due to all the aftermath of the tornado that hit in our mission the day before.  All our missionaries are safe.  The tornado was unusual for this time of year and touched down in the Lynchburg area of our mission, specifically the city of Appomattox, Virginia which is about 70 miles from me.  We have sister missionaries assigned to that city but they live about 20 minutes away from the tornado site.
I also experienced one of the coolest miracles of my mission.  (See Sunday.)


Here's how my week went!

Monday February 22:  I got a haircut from Greg, the barber.
We cleaned up and we tried getting in touch with people the rest of the day.

Tuesday February 23:  David Johnson and Myra had to reschedule and then we tried plenty of other people.
We thought we were meeting Bishop for dinner... we were wrong.  

Elder Jacklin & I
Elder Jacklin was in town on exchanges with the zone leaders (he's one of the Assistants now), so we still went out to Red Robin.
We taught Brian, with Brother Caen sitting in on his lesson.
Then we helped Brother Richardson home teach Brother Steedman.  Brother Steedman is one of the most straight-laced, solemn men I have ever met.  My goal is to make him smile! 

Wednesday February 24:  We walked and picked up our bikes from Brother Winkler's.
We got caught in the rain today!
While trying a less active member, a crazy, wild African American man, who is a pastor/private investigator/bounty hunter, invited us in and gave us 15 minutes to explain the Gospel of Jesus Christ - Mormon style.
Here are the Top Classic Quotes we heard from him while we were there:
  1. "I shot the guy in there (pointing to the next room); he gets angry at me sometimes." 
  2. "Well, I have a black son, who should have been born blonde."
  3. "I used to be Garth Brooks' bodyguard; this is his old Chevy Tahoe, by the way." (He gave us a ride after our visit).
  4. "I've been arrested over 238 times." 
  5. "Galax is the only city that I haven't arrested somebody in." 
We later had a good visit with Brother Loyd about how the Bible and Book of Mormon support each other.
We had dinner and a lesson with our new investigator, Jasim.  He was referred to us by a member from the Vinton ward (David Haswell) who also was at the lesson.  Jasim is from Iraq and is Muslim; he likes us and expressed his Muslim beliefs of having ONE God.
We went to Courtney and Jonathan's for their lesson, but we didn't have Sister Hall, as planned. We did a lesson on what's in store for them, and asked them about Baptism and if they have truly investigated the Book of Mormon.
That evening we had Ward Missionary Coordination.

{opening my birthday presents my family sent}
 

Thursday February 25:  We did our weekly planning.
Firehouse Subs does free subs on your birthday, so we went there for lunch.


We visit with Jack Turner; he wants to receive the Aaronic Priesthood, so we were able to teach him more about the Priesthood.
Brother Ostrander


Brother Ostrander had us over and made some excellent peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for my birthday!

We had dinner with the Bell's (tacos)
The Bell's
They gave me a cake and after I blew out the candles, Tim, Laurel, Sister Bell, and Elder Maxfield all ambushed me with silly string.  
It was a lot of fun!
We also met Adam Shorter and his girlfriend........ he's an inactive RM.

Friday February 26:  We had our district meeting; it was a really good one, with plenty of teaching from other members of the district.
Then we were out working on Madison Ave., and we found Robin; she's a great lady who works form home.  We were able to share a Book of Mormon with her and teach her and bear testimony.  We will see her next week - AND get this, she had never heard of Mormons before!
We had dinner with the Blevins - they got me a Star Wars birthday card 
{Birthday card to Elder "Branchley" haha}
 

and an Oreo ice cream cake.

Saturday February 27:  We had two member-present lessons set up, but both fell through. :(
Brother Lewis was going to come with us to Felicia Moss, but she didn't want us to come in (then our two back ups fell through).  :(  So, he took us to lunch at Fork in the Market.
We met up with Brother John Turner (who is a different guy from Jack) and he came with us to Myra and Richard.  However, Myra wasn't feeling well.  Our back-up plan was Larry, but he wasn't home, so Brother Turner came with us to see Gary Tourville at 5:00.  He was really good at inviting him to church and to do service at the church with the food truck.
We had dinner at the Laymons.  It was pizza and doughnuts = Sister Laymon wasn't there!
We had a good picture lesson with the Toler's on The Restoration.

Sunday February 28:  We had Brother Jack Turner come to church, and we let the Bishop know he needed to meet with him.  Jack is totally going to be a "Rescue." 
After church, we saw Brother Lawerance with Brother Caen sitting in with us.  
Then we were able to try a few people - Nothing.  We really wanted to get our new investigator goal of FIVE for the week, and we were currently sitting at two.  
We had Brother McBride (he's actually in a different ward, served his mission in France, and was actually companions with Mitt Romney at one point) come with us to see Gordiano to help with the translating to French.  Gordiano had to reschedule until later tonight.  So, at that time, we were able to go see Sister Hale, a less-active sister who Brother McBride knows really well.  We always have such spiritual lessons with her!  
Brother McBride (who's Chairman of the Board of SVU) was really trying hard to recruit me to go there!  He made it sound pretty convincing; I was putty in his hands!  
Then Brother Turner came with us to see Jasim.   I am so glad to be here in America, and be an American where at least I know I'm free.  Jasim told us a little bit of his struggle to get away from Iraq, and how he's trying really hard to get his family over to the States.  We testified of Forever Families and he really liked that.  
Then a miracle happened!  We'd had to reschedule with our friend, Gordiano, to later Sunday night, and boy, are we are glad we did!  He had his whole family over when we came!  His parents, three sisters, and a brother-in-law, not to mention of couple of little kids were all there.  Like Gordiano, they are from Tanzania, and speak Swahili, French, and little English.  We were able to share a French Book of Mormon with them and show them the Restoration DVD in French.  They are such good, humble people and are willing to have us bless their family. Those who knew a little English were able to tell the other members of the family what we were saying, in French or Swahili.  Six new investigators came from this!  We found a family!  I will have to tell you all of their names next week; we were able to understand a couple of them!  They are awesome! 


Well, I truly do know that we have leaders in this Church that lead us by Revelation.  I know that Jesus Christ is at the head of this Church.  I Know that we must enter into covenants with God (first being Baptism) in order to enter into his Kingdom.  I Know that men are to have joy (2 Nephi 2:25).  I know that the scriptures are how God speaks to his children. 

I love each of you! 

Love, Elder Brenchley

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you looking so good and so happy. It truly warms our hearts to realize the great experiences and success you are having. Love, Grandpa and Grandma B.

    ReplyDelete