WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Just Another White Shirt Casualty

Hey Family and Friends,

It's another week in the books for the Lord; we had a good week.  I love my new companion, Elder Jolley. 
 
He is a sweet companion and is a powerhouse!  He's from Idaho Falls, Idaho.  He's been out 6 months.  He's 18 yrs. old; right out of High School.  He's a wrestler and likes to white-water kayak. He's the 2nd oldest of 4 kids and his older sister is a missionary in Texas right now.

To sum up this week: Transfers, Parade, Bike Wreck! 
We had transfers: goodbye Elder Maxfield,  Hello, Elder Jolley.  We were in the St. Patrick's parade for downtown Roanoke (it was fun).  And I totally ate it on my bike yesterday! 

March 7, Monday:  It was a long day of looking for people (who might not exist?) but all in the Lord's work. 
We went to one of Roanoke's famous places to eat; Texas Tavern. 
It's been around since 1930. Everyone has told us to go there and order a "Bowl With" & "Cheesy With."
{"Bowl with" = chili with onions, and "Cheesy with" = a cheeseburger/egg with onions}

 
We also had a lesson with Brother Ostrander.
 
March 8, Tuesday:  It was District Meeting today.
Our District
 
Brother Bullion came with us to see Roxanne and Myra.  They loved church and were excited to go back.  I had one of the cooler experiences of my mission in this lesson - something I haven't done since helping my little siblings to pray.  We invited Roxanne to say the closing prayer; she was nervous and didn't want to do it in front of other people.  I went over to her chair and knelt down on one knee and said, "How 'bout I help you?"  So I would say something, "Dear Heavenly Father," then she would repeat it.  She did an excellent job!  They both are wonderful and are some of my favorite people. 
We had a lesson with Brother Tourville.
We got to have dinner at Thelma's Chicken & Waffles (another food place Elder Maxfield wanted to try before he headed out.)
We had a nice visit with the Fischer's.
{The Cowling's}

 
March 9, Wednesday:  P-Day.
We had dinner at the Blevins' (they really liked Elder Maxfield).  Brother Jack Turner was there, too - both really liked Elder Maxfield and were sad to see him go. 
We had a really good lesson with Johnathan and Courtney.  They wouldn't commit to come to church, but they said they would come to the ward party.
We saw the Bell family. 
Then Brother McBride came with us to see the Gasore family, but none of the fluent French speakers were there! 
 
March 10, Thursday:  I said Goodbye to Elder Maxfield.
Elder Maxfield & I
I spent the day with Elder Palmer (he's in Vinton).  He's a stud.  I'd love to serve with him some day.
We found and taught a man named, Marion - he was just chilling on his porch.  He's a really cool guy.  He got teary eyed as he read Moroni 10:3-5.  It was really awesome! 
I got Elder Jolley in the afternoon.
THEN the two appointments we had cancelled. :(
 
March 11, Friday:  We had weekly planning, and I was able to fill Elder Jolley in on the area.  He is really excited to be here. 
We went and saw Brother Tourville and he invited his neighbor to join in on the lesson.  The neighbor's name is Garrett - he's a young guy, age 32, and he has been running away from religion his whole life.  He was very intrigued by our message, and even decided he should be baptized if this was the correct church!  Woohoo! 
We had a lesson scheduled with Brother Lloyd, and he invited over his friend, Jim, who we have taught before.  Back to back, it was great to see members inviting non-members over when the missionaries were coming! 
Our ward party was tonight - it was the Pinewood Derby, as well.  Courtney and Johnathan came, and Courtney brought her son, Lucas.  They had a great time; so many people went up to them and chatted with them. 
 
March 12, Saturday:  We were in the St. Patrick's parade here in Roanoke. 
We helped volunteer in the morning, then jumped in the parade after we were done. 
My companion, Elder Jolley & I

We had a great Family History float.       


We had another great lesson with Myra and Roxanne - they are reading the assignments we give them.  They both said they could prepare for April 9 as a Baptismal date.  They really want to know that it is true before they are baptized.  We promised them they could! 
We also had a good lesson with Sister Hale.  Then we had dinner with Sister Cook; Brother Arrington came with us to both.
 
March 13, Sunday:  Myra came to church.  Roxanne got confused with the Daylight Savings, whoops.
Brother Winkler was out with us for the day; we were able to talk to several people who we were suppose to teach, but they asked to reschedule, like Brother Nate Henegar, and Shawn & Nate.
We did meet and started teaching this lady from England named, Susan.  She's a former investigator and I told her I have a pretty darn good British accent.  She requested I spend the rest of the lesson speaking in a British accent, and even said the closing prayer in a British accent, too!  Haha.
I wrecked on my bike just 3 blocks away from our house.



 
We had a nice visit with the Miller's, and we gave Brother Miller a blessing.

As of late, I have been drawn to how the Gospel blesses families so much.  My biggest testimony of this has to be that of my own raising in a family who enjoyed the blessings of the Gospel.  I have loved sharing "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." 
THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.

I truly love how much the Gospel is meant to bless families. God is an eternal God, so then everything he created (including families) is meant to be eternal as well. I am excited to continue to find and teach families. 
 
I love this Gospel, and know it will bless you and your family! 
 
Love, Elder Brenchley 

1 comment: