Hey Ya'll!
It's just been a short time since I last wrote (Wednesday). I'm super excited to continue to serve here in Roanoke, and we saw a good week as we taught many lessons this past week. Thoughtful, inspired planning helped out very much!
Becky and Moses cancelled on us - we are having the hardest time just getting them to meet with us.
We had ward mission coordination meeting.
Thursday Jan 28: Transfer day - I said goodbye to some great missionaries.
| Elder Bingham & I |
| {Elder B. Johnson, transferring out of Virginia} |
| {Elder Crouch & I} |
| {Elder Williams & I - we went to Jr. High together} |
We had an extra elder with us today - it was Elder Brandow.
We found a new investigator named, Carlos. He's a musician, and travels the east coast. The only thing he had heard about the church is that he's seen "The Book of Mormon" musical (NOT an accurate source of info!)We did have our ward mission leader, Brother Richardson, come out with us this afternoon, however most of our appointments fell through. We did get to visit Brother Lawrence.
We had a visit with Brother Lloyd on following the Prophet. I'm glad that we taught this because he is still new in the church and gets confused during Sunday School and Elder's Quorum when they start quoting people (prophets and apostles) he doesn't know.
We met Brother Newcomb finally. He's a good, older man. He was straight up with us, "I'm angry at the world, God, the Church, etc. I'm an alcoholic and I struggle with PTSD." We taught him about first having faith. Our hearts really went out for the guy. He really appreciated our visit and his friend, Michael, was in the next room and wants us to start teaching him.
Friday Jan 29:
| Elder Young & I on exchanges |
We had a good lesson with Brian - Brother Caen came with us and we read Alma 42.
Then we got a ride to Courtney and Johnathan's where Brother Winkler met us there. We had a very spirit-filled, powerful lesson. Elder Young did a great job of bringing in the Spirit. We invited them to be baptized on March 20 - there were both really close to saying yes! Courtney said, "I'd more than consider it." Johnathan said, "I'll get back to you on that."
Saturday Jan. 30: We walked very far, and met some good people along the way including this one man named, Vincent, who was outside his church (attending a funeral). We were able to speak with him, and he gave me an awesome quote: "If you remain humble and hungry, the World is yours."
After lunch (P.S. Never trust Chinese food made by two Brazilian guys), Brother Cowling picked us up, and we were going to go to our lesson with John - and even after confirming just 2 hours before, he wasn't there. We were, however, able to go see a less-active Sister, named Sister Franklin, we've never met with before, so it was nice to do that.
We exchanged back - I was very blessed to be on exchanges with Elder Young - he's a really good Elder.
We had a member visit with Brother Hannon, the 1st Counselor in the Bishopric.
| {Sunset off our back deck} |
Sunday Jan. 31:
Courtney and Johnathan weren't able to come to church today, but they committed to next week. Brian did come to church.
| Brian |
We were able to walk and talk to people today.
We had a visit with Brother Lloyd, then he was so gracious to go with us to dinner at Sister Cook's because we needed a 3rd male.
We had a lesson with Brian; he's been a little discouraged - some things have come up that will probably move his Baptismal date back. I'd ask that everyone can keep him in your prayers.
Well, I really enjoyed having a busy schedule and teaching this week! Using the Lord's time wisely is a very valuable skill we can all develop. We only have a short time here on this earth, so what will we do with the time the Lord has given us???
I also finished reading the Book of Mormon for the second time on my mission. I kneeled down and prayed and asked if it was true. I noticed something; not only did I feel the Spirit warm myself, but the Spirit guided the rest of my prayer. I prayed that if the Lord would continue to help me know this Book is true, that I would dedicate my life to Him, and His church. Because, through this Book, I know that the path I am on is the right path! I know that I have much hope and many promises ahead of me! I know this Church is true, I know we have a Prophet on the earth today, I know families can be together forever, and I know The Book of Mormon contains the FULLNESS of the everlasting Gospel!
I Love You All!
Love, Elder Brenchley
No comments:
Post a Comment