Happy New Year!
Tues. Dec. 29: We had a good lesson with Clarence, and Brother Richardson joined us. Melissa was feeling sick, so she didn't feel like a lesson. We were able to review the Restoration with him, and set him on date for Baptism for February 20th.
Wed. Dec. 30: We got our bikes fixed, so now we are rolling around on slick, Trek street bikes.
Thur. Dec. 31: New Year's Eve.
Fri. Jan. 1: New Year's Day. Welcome 2016!
Sat. Jan. 2: We met a great, part-member family, the Lester family. Chase (the dad) is actually Sister Lester's son from Floyd! He's been inactive for a while, but he expressed to us that they want to have their 2 month old son blessed!
Sun. Jan. 3: Brian came to church today; he and his finace, Shivilli (who is a member), are pretty set on coming to church every Sunday for the rest of their lives - they want to raise their son in the church so bad! It's awesome motivation.
What a wonderful week I had to welcome in the new year! I hope everyone had a great time! I always loved New Year's Eve/Day (waiting for midnight, football games, banging pots and pans) - none of which I got to do this year! Haha! Ah well!
Elder Maxfield and myself saw some wonderful things this week! It was probably the best week (key indicator wise) for the area and the district.
Mon. Dec. 28: P-Day
The Vinton Elders took us downtown and introduced us to all the public affairs people of Roanoke, so we can know where we can provide service or set up booths at big events.
So, we were able to go see Margo - she was a media referral. She requested a Bible. We ran out of stock because so many people, during this Christmas season, have been on the mormon.org website and requesting free gifts. So, I was able to loan her my pocket New Testament for now - we also gave her a Book of Mormon, and taught her the Restoration. She was very curious, and her curiosity is what brought her to the mormon.org website.
Tues. Dec. 29: We had a good lesson with Clarence, and Brother Richardson joined us. Melissa was feeling sick, so she didn't feel like a lesson. We were able to review the Restoration with him, and set him on date for Baptism for February 20th.
We met a guy named, Melvin, downtown - all he does is just hang out downtown; he started walking around with us and I am now "The Mack of Roanoke" [according to him].
We helped a Colombian family move some heavy things, and they thanked us - even said we could come back anytime.
We Taught our main man, Brian, with Brother Michael Cain. We tried to keep the lesson focused on "enduring to the end." He's progressing, and has come a long way from when missionaries first started teaching him (in 2014).
Wed. Dec. 30: We got our bikes fixed, so now we are rolling around on slick, Trek street bikes.
We were able to visit Brother Lloyd, and help him understand temples a little bit - we are making a big push to have him go on a temple trip ASAP.
We were speeding down Mountain Avenue and I hit the brakes because I saw a guy cleaning his car. I knew we needed to talk to him. His name was Peter, and he was a huge football fan. We got a good conversation going and we were able to teach him the Restoration, say a prayer with him, as well as give him a Book of Mormon.
We got WET today, as it rained, and we were on our bikes.
Brother Steedman took us to go see Margo; she had some concerns up front. "I don't like your book. The names are different in your bible," she accused. We reexplained it was because The Book of Mormon is a different account. We also invited her to be baptized, and she, after giving it some deep thought, said, "No." Ah man! She just needs more preparation and faith.
Brother Jaime Cain (Brother Michael Cain's son) took us to go see a young man named, Devon. He wasn't home, and none of the back-ups seemed to be home, either. Jaime is a RM of about 2 months, so he was totally cool about it. He's also attending SVU in the winter, and has a job to work for Brother Nick Carter! What a small world!
Thur. Dec. 31: New Year's Eve.
We had a district meeting.
Brother Winkler drove us around in the afternoon, and we met with a less-active man named, Brother Tourville. We talked about receiving revelation at church. He committed to come this Sunday.
President Salisbury issued a mission-wide 6:00 PM curfew on New Year's Eve. We were able to come home, eat dinner, and have our weekly planning session.
Fri. Jan. 1: New Year's Day. Welcome 2016!
I distinctively remember when the clock struck midnight for 2014, I went into shock, realizing this is the year I turn 18, the year I graduate from High School, the year I leave on my mission.... I had a similar experience this [1st day of 2016] morning. This is the year I turn 20, the year I return home from my mission, when I start real life, etc..
I had a terrible headache/migraine today. I laid down for an hour while Elder Maxfield cleaned the whole house. He's a real great, clean freak! He's a great example to me!
We talked to a nice man named, Tom. He's 75 yrs. old and golfs every single day. That's where I want to be when I'm that old! (with a couple dozen grandkids, too!)
We had another lesson with Brian on following the Prophet. We talked a lot about his current testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Sat. Jan. 2: We met a great, part-member family, the Lester family. Chase (the dad) is actually Sister Lester's son from Floyd! He's been inactive for a while, but he expressed to us that they want to have their 2 month old son blessed!
Clarence and Melissa had to cancel.
Then Peter wasn't home.
We ran into Brother Tourville and his friend, Chastity. She was friendly trying to bash with us, but she wanted to go to church in the morning = extra motivation for Brother Tourville.
We had dinner with the Gundlach's - they're a wonderful couple.
Sun. Jan. 3: Brian came to church today; he and his finace, Shivilli (who is a member), are pretty set on coming to church every Sunday for the rest of their lives - they want to raise their son in the church so bad! It's awesome motivation.
We had a great Gospel Principles lesson, where Brian got really involved, and was bearing testimony of our Heavenly Father.
The Gentry couple came with us to see Denise and Brother Lawerance.
We met another part-member family, the McClaughan's, and we were able to set up a return appointment for them, too!
Well, I hope each of us head into this new year with great goals! I feel a lot better spiritually and physically! All that biking and walking is doing me good! I'm committed to having good morning workouts, too! Elder Bingham and Elder Kropushek are trying to get me hooked on protein. haha
I've been having some really good studies on the importance of studying the Gospel. There are so many good reasons why we need to consistently study the Gospel. We need to study the Gospel so we can have the desire to share it with others, so we can improve our behavior, so we can stay on the path to eternal life. It's amazing the effects that come from studying the Gospel! I urge each of you to continue to study, study, study the Gospel! I will continue to do the same, as well as urge all the people I teach to do so!
I know this year will be wonderful! We don't have to look back! The Savior and His Atonement covers all the mistakes we have made, and will cover all the ones we will make.
Love You All!
Love, Elder Brenchley
No comments:
Post a Comment