WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

How About Getting Baptized on Your Birthday?

Hello, Everyone!

What's going on? 

This was a real "feel-good" week! 

Aug. 31, Mon:  P-Day. 
We had dinner at the Trotman's - I mentioned Sister Trotman was younger than I am, right?  Well, they invited more college students over, who were younger than me, too!  I feel older, we'll check about the wiser part. 
We chatted with the Dorey's, some former investigators; they're open to having us back, just won't nail down a time.
We were able to teach George Jordan for the first time.  George is Charlie's neighbor. (Charlie moved away)  George is awesome!  This was definitely the highlight of the week!  We taught the restoration - he loved it!  He asked questions like, "Yeah, I wonder how we're suppose to know which church is the right one?" and "I don't think someone who went to school, and got a piece of paper, means they have authority!" 

Sep. 1, Tues:  3 letters: MLC.
Mission Leadership Conference is an all day thing.  We woke up at 3:00 in the morning, drove to Roanoke, hopped in the Roanoke zone leaders’ van, picked up the Pembroke zone leaders, and went to Charleston.  It was an awesome meeting!  We got home around 10:45 p.m.  Can you say, “long day?”

Sep. 2, Wed:  We were scrambling all day to invite people to the church tour!  No dice. 
We met with Brother Ramsey (less-active), and taught about the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and how we can change.  The problem is; Brother Ramsey doesn't want to change.  Some people are like that - agency is a gift everyone has. 
   
Sep. 3, Thur:  We did weekly planning.
Betty wasn't doing good today.  With Brother Butler, we went over and gave her a Priesthood blessing.  She had trouble breathing and was passing out.  The rescue squad came and picked her up shortly after we left.
We had an amazing lesson with George.  Brother Marcel Blake. came with us and we reviewed the Restoration and read some of the Introduction.  He knew about the tower of Babel and everything!  My companion and myself had prayed that morning, with a lot of faith, to know what date George should prepare for Baptism.  As we extended the date of October 18, he replied,  "Are you kidding me?"  
We were confused as to why he reacted like that...
"Do you know what day that is?"  George asked.   
"No, what?" we responded.
"That's my Birthday!  I don't know how Ya'll did that."  he exclaimed.
He graciously accepted, then reported to us he was going to read more of the Book of Mormon, to see where we found October 18th in there. 

Sep. 4, Fri:  Zone Meeting, We had an excellent zone meeting!  The Spirit was so strong.  We went the night before and set up the room.  Then, we almost had every single companionship with an assignment.  We had each of our District Leaders COMMIT each missionary be there 30 minutes before, and in their seats 15 minutes before the starting time.  The teaching portion went great.  Some members who drove missionaries up, sat in during zone meeting, and came up to me after and said I was a wonderful teacher and I should be a salesman.  I quickly assured him that is was the missionaries who came prepared with the Spirit, and the willingness to learn was the key!  That's why we were able to teach with the Spirit so well! 
 Also, something that contributed greatly to the meeting was individual missionaries sharing stories of their current investigators.  I had the opportunity to share our story about George; I got emotional as the Spirit testified that we had listened to the Holy Ghost, as we picked a date for George.  I absolutely love the Spirit, and the feelings and promptings I get from it.  I want to continue to live worthy of this Spirit so the Lord can direct me in His work!
After zone meeting, we went on exchanges with the Forest Elders; I went down to Forest with Elder Underhill.  Forest is by far, the nicest, up-scale, new area, I have ever been in on my mission, and quite possibly my life.  Brand new huge housing developments popping up everywhere.  
 
{Farmington PRIDE!}
We were able to find a lot of new potentials, just having had a life-changing experience with moving into the new house, their hearts were softened a bit. 
Meanwhile, back in Buena Vista, Elder Johnson and Elder Walker visited and taught Betty in the hospital

Sep. 5, Sat:  We drove back from the Lynchburg area.
We helped the Wheeler's remove rocks from their yard. 
And, we had dinner at the Forsberg's.

Sep. 6, Sun:  Betty and Debbie were out from church today. 
We visited George before church, but he had to run his nephew to his mom's and pick up a car. 
Fast and Testimony meeting in Buena Vista ward = lots of kids bearing their sweet, pure testimonies. 
We talked to a lot of good people today.  We are hoping to become one of their neighbors, even if they aren't interested in the Gospel at this point. 

Well, that's all for this week!  We hope to see some great things continue this next week!  We're so excited for all the good things to come! 
I absolutely love the Spirit!  It is awesome!  It leads us every day!  We need to listen and see where we can be lead! 
Also: One little boy in an all-white suit, and goggles for glasses, bore his testimony and said, “If we have enough faith, miracles can happen to anyone!” 
I add my testimony to his; also Faith leads us to act or change. To repent!  Which is a very good thing!  I've grown from learning in studies, but also applying what I've learned in my day to day missionary work! 

I Love You All! 

Love, Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment