Note: Mom makes a list of questions in her letters and Elder Brenchley answers them:
1. Was the Christmas food the same out there? Was anything “unique” served? We had ham, ham, and ham at all the places we went to eat for Christmas Eve/Day.
2. Did Elder Carter, from upstairs, get transferred? Yes. Where’s he going? Elder Carter got shipped off to Portsmith, OH. Elder Ence replaced him. He was in my group who came out to WV in September and was my "companion for a day" in the mission home at that time. Elder Ence is from St. George and just came from his first area in Lynchburg.
1. Was the Christmas food the same out there? Was anything “unique” served? We had ham, ham, and ham at all the places we went to eat for Christmas Eve/Day.
2. Did Elder Carter, from upstairs, get transferred? Yes. Where’s he going? Elder Carter got shipped off to Portsmith, OH. Elder Ence replaced him. He was in my group who came out to WV in September and was my "companion for a day" in the mission home at that time. Elder Ence is from St. George and just came from his first area in Lynchburg.
3. Do you have Senior & Junior companions? Or after you’ve been trained, are you just “co-companions?” We do have Jr & Sr. Companions. Elder Caldwell has been out longer, but I have been in the area longer, making me the senior companion.
4. Are you going to be able to email on your usual P-day since it will be Martin Luther King day (a holiday when libraries are closed)? This time, we will have to email on Tuesday. Due to MLK Jr. day, all the libraries were closed and the Young's and Heller's were up partying in Charleston. I'm sorry, I love being a part of Family Home Evening agenda: "A letter from Elder Brenchley" on Monday nights.
5. Who’s in the new Beckley ward Bishopric? Anyone we know/you’ve mentioned to us? The new Bishopric is Bishop Barnett (That's the second Bishop Barnett I've had!) 1st Counselor is Brother Heller, and 2nd Counselor is Brother Brooks (our former ward Mission Leader). Bro. Geisler, the previous bishop, will be our new ward Mission Leader.
6. You have a lot of investigators with the last name, “Wood.” Tom Wood, Michael Wood, Kim Wood, Rob Wood....Are they all related? :) Yes we do! We actually knocked into another Tom Wood once, and none of them are related to one another.
7. When you’re teaching all these lessons to men, is it during the day? What about their jobs? Do they have them? We usually teach lessons during the evenings because a) people usually work b) members usually work c) people get a little nervous when someone's knocking on their door when it's dark. There's only one person I can think of who doesn't work.
8. Is Liberty University Christian College (where M & K attend) the one which makes their students take a mandatory Anti-Mormon class? Liberty University has a history of mandatory Anti-Mormon classes. I don't know if they still do, and that might have been why those two girls were investigating. But, their campus is actually identical to BYU's (honor code/dress standards, etc)! They even have an "LU" on the mountain.
9. I have been asked to be a speaker at an upcoming Relief Society meeting with the theme of, "Hastening the Work of the Lord." They want me to talk about how I and my family are "Hastening The Work of The Lord." What should I say? ;) Any thoughts? So, as far as Hastening the Work of the Lord, just express on points such as befriending non-member neighbors & social media. You could easily bring up the Church by indicating that you are from Utah, or have a son on an LDS mission. Mention the importance of not being afraid to share the greatest message in the world! It's blessed you and your family, so don't be selfish! ;) When you have a great gift (ie: new phone, TV, car), you want to show/share with others! It's the same with the work of the Lord! Just pray for guidance and you'll be fine.
10. I was at Dick's Market this week and they have a same-day MTC delivery drop off at their service desk - I saw a package to Megee Layton, your friend from High School, on the counter. Do you know of very many VHS girls going on missions? Haha, I did know that! I guess I forgot to tell you! I'm so excited for her! Yes! There are a lot of girls from Viewmont going on missions now! Keep an ear out for others who are going, as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment