WEST VIRGINIA CHARLESTON MISSION

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Congregation Doubles When it's the Primary Program

It's going pretty good out here in WV!  As long as we stay busy, it goes by so fast!  I've already been out here one whole transfer???  And 2 months on this coming Monday!
{Reminds me of the train tracks scene from "October Sky"}
I cherish reading the weekly emails and letters I get!  Love hearing everything's OK back home!  Please tell me what's happening; any special moments?  Any hilarious moments?  Embarrassing moments?  It's the small moments like these I seem to miss.  But, 'tis part of being away from home.  So good to hear about back home!

Just thought I'd let you know it's getting cold here!  It's about 35 degrees every morning.  Don't worry, I'm being a MAN and wearing short sleeves!  ;)  Don't tell grandma!
 
The challenge is to be Christlike at all times!  I feel like I can't afford to not have a positive attitude!  That's something my companion really admires about me - that I'm always optimistic!  I think not making all the teams, and stuff over all the years has helped with really being able to handle all the rejection and the let down. You just have to move on! 

I hope to always be serving God in a pleasing manner.  And am striving to always have the Spirit with me as I teach.  To teach people, not just lessons.  If we can do this, the lesson will be so much more meaningful to the investigator!

WVU is now 6-2 and bowl eligible!  I hear everything and anything about WVU Football!  And I love it!  It's great conversation starter at Church, and to anyone on the street wearing WVU gear! 


Here's A quick recap from my week!  (If you don't have the time to read the whole thing) 

Top 5 Things that happened this week:
1. I hit a deer driving home. (only going about 10 mph when the deer ran into the car, so no damage)
2. Spent the whole P-day Saturday cutting and hauling wood. 
3. Tom, our rock star Investigator, came to church - and it was the Primary program!
4. Had a great lesson w/ investigator, Joyce, on the prophet - prayed in middle of the lesson to know!  She believes President Monson is the prophet! 
5. A little girl in the ward got baptized after church - and Tom attended that!


{This is a PRO PIC!  Elder Johnson is a wizard!  This is what professional photographers only dream of!}


Oct. 22, Wed:  Today we went and did P-day stuff.  My companion, Elder Johnson, needed a sweater for the cold weather.  So where does this Cali kid want to go shopping?  Pac-Sun at the mall!  I kept telling him there wouldn't be a sweater there.  I guess shopping there reminded him of home.  That night we taught Tom Wood about the Book of Mormon and answered his questions. 

Oct. 23, Thur:  Today was transfer day.  Elder Kamauu, from Oak Hill in our district, got transferred and Elder Bodily replaced him (he's a visa-waiter, heading to Brazil).  Went to Ms. W house to teach her.  She just started blasting her gospel music again.  We will probably end up dropping her - we can barely teach her anything.  BTW, I finally started driving today!  It's OK, everyone!  I still remember how to drive!

Oct. 24, Fri:  District meeting & study www.mormon.org.  Went to visit David Lily.  He said he had a virus and didn't want us to come in and teach him.  That didn't stop him from talking to us through the screen for half an hour.  To top the night off, we were able to teach Bill about the Holy Ghost and the Book of Mormon, and he committed to read! 

Oct. 25, Sat:  I finally got sick in the mission field!  I was a little under the weather all night and couldn't sleep, but I'm OK.  We spent the whole day up at the Shrewsberry's helping them cut down trees and haul wood.  (Side Note: Remember the wind storms of 2011 in Davis County?  And then the clean-up that followed the next few days?  That's what it is like every single Saturday here.)  :)  After helping them out all day, we changed into our missionary clothes and went to go see Tom Wood!  We read Alma 32 w/ him, which he really enjoyed!  He promised he'd come to church tomorrow and the Baptism that will follow. 

Oct. 26, Sun:  We prayed for our investigators to have the strength to come to church and the Baptism.  (We made sure to invite and remind all of our Investigators).  Only one came, but it was Tom Wood!  It was also the Primary program today!  He really enjoyed the children's perspective of the church.  The Primary (about 20-30 kids strong) did a great Job!  The great thing about this is relatives and friends (non-members and less-actives) came to see the kids, and us missionaries were able to introduce ourselves to all of them!  After sacrament meeting, we went with Tom to the Gospel Principles Sunday School class - the lesson was on eternal marriage, and that brought great comfort to Tom, to know he can be sealed to his wife (who passed on 3 years ago) forever because of the sealing power and temples.  Then, after church, the baptism of a little 8 year old girl named, Brooke, took place.  It was different than a typical Utah baptism, but the Spirit was the same!  It left a really good impact on Tom!  After church, we taught the twins at Sis. Blackburn's house.  (Apparently, they were too sick to go to church and the Baptism, but they were A-OK to have us come teach them).  They told us how they went to the Primary Halloween party yesterday and loved it!  We taught them about following the Prophet.  We showed them the video, "Dare To Stand Alone" from President Thomas S. Monson.  They believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and we helped them memorize the current Prophet's name. 

Sorry to run!  But we only have so much time. 
Love You All!

-Love, Elder Brenchley

No comments:

Post a Comment